Building A Hlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelly

Reaction score
Iam building a HLT, and would like to if there is any where in Brisbane QLD, i can buy ss taps and fittings.Would like to go the no weld option . Hope someone can help.

Iam building a HLT, and would like to if there is any where in Brisbane QLD, i can buy ss taps and fittings.Would like to go the no weld option . Hope someone can help.

bb,

I just went with Bunnings gear, I've had no leaks so far.

Yard

Prochem Northside, all SS stuff, 2 piece & 3 piece ballvalves etc.

Thanks for the quick reponse ,the problem i have is not so much the ss ball valve but attaching it to the tank.How did you guys go about it , did you get some welding done or did you go the no weld way.

threaded pipe with a collar either side.

kettle003.jpg

1/2" Brass allthread, threadtape, 2 x fibre washers, 2 x Bulkhead Nuts, 1 x Three piece SS ballvalve, 1 x 1/2" male to hosebarb. 1/2" soft copper pickup with nylon olive and compression fitting.

Tassol e gut

Lots of threaded pipe, nuts, washers, etc means loads of places for potential leakage.

If it's a HLT, then you don't need a pickup tube, so you can afford to leave a few litres of water in the bottom.

Try one of these:

Linky Linky

I use in my kettle and just tip to get the remaining wort out, but as I said it won't matter that much for your HLT :)

Best thing of all about these is that the only wall-sealing required is a single washer or o-ring on the inside of the kettle/HTT/whatever due the the skin fitting's very handy shoulder :super:

PZ.

Like the idea of the skin fitting ,found a Whit worth shop in Brisbane not far from me.Iam hoping that will solve that problem.Got one more question though, i want to use a electrical heating element ,been to my local HBS store and they have 2000 watt elements for stills.Do you think this will be big enough to heat up 40liters of water. All advice much appreciated.

Back