bugger forgot to mash out

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not necessarily buckerooni, specifics and context are everything- when talking about a sparge step in a bucket then in the MaxiBIAB context it is vital but in an urn context, perhaps not so, probably not in fact. But, if you just mean the mashout step then generally and on many accounts YMMV. It's important not to confound the two separate issues.
Nevertheless, the beauty of this caper is that you can try out this sort of variation for yourself and just see- 9 times out of 10 you still get beer, chances are it is bloody good beer at that!

Just boiling up a no mashout BIAB now, should cut 30 mins off my brew day. If results are good I'll consider making the change permanently.

Edit: bloody autocorrect! A no mash BIAB would be a thing to behold

Thanks for pointing that error out while I could still edit. No mash AG would revolutionise the homebrew world though.

No mash out gave me a drop in efficiency, normally I'm at 70% and last night's batch was closer to 65%. Certainly the clearest wort I've had to the cube though.

Still undecided if I'll mash out in future batches.

A mashout wont effect efficiency. Once the grains have converted thats it.

Sparging will effect your efficiency

Ducatiboy stu said:
A mashout wont effect efficiency. Once the grains have converted thats it.

Sparging will effect your efficiency
to parrot Brad Smith:
"The main purpose of the mash-out is to halt conversion and to raise the temperature of the mash for a better lauter flow. "

one could argue that an inferior lauter flow if you do not mashout could mean a poorer lautering process and consequent deleterious effect on extraction ?

Why would you want to stop conversion. At any rate, conversion would stop once you started the kettle boil

Adding more hot water aids lautering more than just a temp increase to " mash out "

I always do a mash-out, not really sure why, just one of those habitual things I guess. Normally get around 75% efficiency.

Today I used acid malt in a grist (2%) for the first time and my efficiency jumped to 79% (would have been 82.3% if I got the full 25 litres I was aiming for). Linked, I wonder? Will experiment with it on more batches.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Why would you want to stop conversion. At any rate, conversion would stop once you started the kettle boil

Adding more hot water aids lautering more than just a temp increase to " mash out "
Why would you want to stop conversion? To keep some longer chain dextrins in for body and mouthfeel.

Don't you 'sparge' with boiling water, raising the grain bed up to around 78?

^^ +1 this.
I do a 3v kinda setup where I recirculate at mash out for 20mins then sparge. I can get all sorts of temp fluctuations, namely dropping below 70*c, and the last several liters may be down closer to 60*c. Ghetto system!
But that's the reason I hit 78*c for a few mins: to denature any enzymes and halt conversion. I had beers accidentally ramp up to 70 for 10-15mins then finally get it down to, say 65*c. These always turn out a little thinner to my tastes. So in reflection of this, once I have my fermentables profile set (I generally do a 4 step mash), I don't want a drop in temp to then just negate the whole process.

Apparently mash out helps with flushing out the sugars as well. I'm happy to go with this, though I'd be inclined to agree a sparge type step will do a lot more for this purpose.
2c

manticle said:
Why would you want to stop conversion? To keep some longer chain dextrins in for body and mouthfeel.

manticle said:

But this is not the " Mash out " in the classical sense, and it does not instantly raise the temp to 78*c

I have never had a mouthfeel or body issue.

Is it more perception because someone once said " You must mash out or your beer will turn to shit..."

Bit like re-hydrating yeats...they all say " You must ...yaydda..yadda...yadda....".....but do you REALLY need to....?

Yes I know your all going to shit can me as per usual, but **** it, I dont care

Nothing will instantly raise it. The process is identical to mashing out by infusion.

No-one has claimed it's necessary (opposite in fact) but it does have a purpose that goes beyond 'I got told to'.

No-one is interested in shitting on you. I don't know what other forums you frequent but there'll be one or two others that are out there that will be obliging.

Yeast rehydration has **** all to do with the discussion.

manticle said:
Nothing will instantly raise it. The process is identical to mashing out by infusion.

No-one has claimed it's necessary (opposite in fact) but it does have a purpose that goes beyond 'I got told to'.

No-one is interested in shitting on you. I don't know what other forums you frequent but there'll be one or two others that are out there that will be obliging.

Yeast rehydration has **** all to do with the discussion.
Grab a snickers mants

I even made a scat joke.
Also I hate snickers. Bacon and eggs for me once I mash in.

There are Jazz forums ?.....Man, just how big is the interweb...

Back