Bug In Yeast Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A tiny bug has somehow managed to crawl under the loose foil and into your lagar starter while it si

• Not worry, let the starter finish and pitch the yeast?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tip it out and start the whole process again?

• ummm i'm 12. What is this?

• Total voters
Don't worry about it, as long as the culture has enough live yeast for your wort volume, the yeast will outcompete anything that may have got in, and fermenting at lager temps you have even less to worry about...

Taste your starter before pitching, if it tastes fine then go for it!

what raven said, if the starter tastes like arse don't use it.

The yeast starter is bound to taste like arse even if everything is fine... just use it...

The yeast starter is bound to taste like arse even if everything is fine... just use it...

Very true, with starters you break most of the rules of brewing to increase yeast reproduction. As for the bug I wouldn't worry too much, nice way to go though - drowned in beer ;)

I would take the bug out (not included in the poll) and use the starter. I once swallowed a fly and I'm still here.

Obviously better to avoid bugs but I wouldn't pretend there's never been one near my beer (currently drinking a brew that had a cockroach dive in while I was racking).

Don't tell mum.

i'd ditch it. the bug is certain to be covered in wild yeast or bacteria or both...

You are effectively culturing a starter of that in addition to your yeast strain.

Which will be dominant is questionable but I think its pretty safe to say If an insect is in your starter, its infected.

i'd ditch it. the bug is certain to be covered in wild yeast or bacteria or both...

You are effectively culturing a starter of that in addition to your yeast strain.

Which will be dominant is questionable but I think its pretty safe to say If an insect is in your starter, its infected.

Yep, I would ditch it, Better a l litre starter thab 23 litres of beer.

cheers

Darren

As always, do a smell/taste test... but I'd still chuck it: Who knows what the fly has carried into your starter.. it might not manifest itself in the starter as something detectable but it could still be there.

If it was one of those little flies you see aroundthe fruitbowl (Drosophila) then it will cause real problems later on after ferment.

They dont call them vinegar flies for nothing.

cheers

Darren

The ONLY thing I would ever do to this is DUMP it.

Start off on the right foot.

Why not use bung + airlock/ filter?

Peter

Back