Budding Wine Makers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recharge

Reaction score
Hello to all budding wine makers in the Perth area.
I have a reasonable size crusher / destemmer and a small basket press which i am happy to loan any AHB'ers who wish to have a go at making some wine.
There is no cost involved tho a couple of exotic home brews wouldn't be turned down.

PM me or post if your interested.

Richard

edit = of course you'd have to pick up and drop off.

Should this not be in off-topic as it has nothing to do with beer (except payment wise).
Shame on you recharge, shame, shame :)

mika_lika said:
Should this not be in off-topic as it has nothing to do with beer (except payment wise).
Shame on you recharge, shame, shame :)
[post="110061"][/post]​
You are probably right tho anyway you look at it its still brew gear.
Feel free to have it moved.

Beer is optional not required.

:beer:

Yeah Winemaking, like I need another hobby!

I saw one of those de-stemmers in action on SBS (Wine lovers guide to Australia?), amazing. How the hell do they work?

this post got me to thinking is there a forum like the AHB site for ammature wine makers.

also need a bit of variety in hobbies. obsessions

also need a bit of variety in hobbies. obsessions

Yeah <_< know what you mean I also make wine as well to add to my obsessions and not that from a box cr&p [now].
I don't touch the stuff myself only when it comes time to bottle it to make sure it is not vinegar :blink: started with the kit wines about two years ago and moved on, sound familiar?
Also broke my large glass fermenter yesterday after bottling, just slipped and sliced my ankle :angry: SHMBO did not care as long as the wine was safe..OK not quite true

sounds like a good idea, would like to try my hand at wine making one day. So bindi your saying the boxes are no good?

sluggerdog said:
sounds like a good idea, would like to try my hand at wine making one day. So bindi your saying the boxes are no good?
[post="110346"][/post]​

pint of lager said:
How many stitches did you have Bindi?
[post="110356"][/post]​

Slugger with the box kits you get what you pay for, the cheap ones are rubbish the expensive ones are OK at best <_< I racked them twice and doubled the time in 2nd and 3rd ferm and like beer they only inproved when I could controll the temp.

pint ol it was such a clean cut Elastoplast did the job for now :) did not even feel it cut it was that sharp.

Coconut wine
Made this one that has just matured after one year :eek: even I like it. but one year to mature and very messy to make :( make beer more fun

If there are obsessives in the Adelaide area who want to find out more about winemaking, then The Amateur Winemakers and Brewers Club of Adelaide may be of interest.

The club meets on the First Tuesday of the month at the Clarence Park Community Centre, 72 East Ave Black Forest 5035 at 8pm. So next meet is on 7 March.

The club is predominantly made up of winemakers and there is a lot of good info and resources to share. More brewers in the club would also be most welcome. Feel free to PM me or email me if you would like more information.

If you live in the Hills of Adelaide you might also want to contact our sister club: The Blackwood Winemakers and Brewers' Club, contact details are included in their website.

If you come to Adelaide look for the short bloke with the Scottish accent and say g'day. If you go to blackwood, make sure you let them know who sent you :D

Never tried the kits, i started about 7 years ago with 80kg of grapes a square plastic tup and clean feet. Pressed it all through a nylon bag.

Simon W Posted Today, 01:48 AM
Yeah Winemaking, like I need another hobby!

I consider all brewing (beer, wine, other) to be all part of the same hobby. Beer is the new one for me tho i did try some kits years ago and wasnt impressed(either they've improved or i have).

My brewing room is currentl;y a construction zone adding large rack for my AG setup so am thinking of passing on the wine this year, unless my free source of grapes comes good.

Crushed a ton of grapes once with my crusher destemmer (try that at home for temp control hit nearly 40deg) definately sticking with small batches from now on 2 x 54L demijohns is my yearly wine quota.

Good luck to any who try

Richard

recharge said:
I have a reasonable size crusher / destemmer and a small basket press which i am happy to loan any AHB'ers who wish to have a go at making some wine.
There is no cost involved tho a couple of exotic home brews wouldn't be turned down.

Hi Recharge

How big is the basket press? does it fit in the back of a station wagon?

I scored 80kg of shiraz and merlot today for the princely sum of 12 bottles of homebrew :D plus the time it took me to pick 4 boxes of grapes and chuck them through a crusher destemmer. I have put pectinase into the must and will pitch yeast tomorrow so I now have about 7 days to work out how to press it :eek:

Cheers

Ausdb

ausdb said:
recharge said:

Hi Recharge

How big is the basket press? does it fit in the back of a station wagon?

I scored 80kg of shiraz and merlot today for the princely sum of 12 bottles of homebrew :D plus the time it took me to pick 4 boxes of grapes and chuck them through a crusher destemmer. I have put pectinase into the must and will pitch yeast tomorrow so I now have about 7 days to work out how to press it :eek:

Cheers

Ausdb
[post="117790"][/post]​
Sorry Darryn replied to your PM before reading post. It will fit in station wagon and you can expect to do about 2-3 presses to get 80kg through.

Cheers
Rich

Back