Bubbling For 11 Days Now

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brend0

Reaction score
I have a Citra IPA in ther fermenter I brewed the Thursday before last, and it is still bubbling once, maybe twice a minute.

Never have any of my beers still been going this long. I used the California common white labs yeast and my OG was 1.054 can anyone explain why this is still going?

Brendo

Its cold? what temperature is it at? Whats the current gravity?

I'm sure it wont take long for the kittens to surface.

Forget the airlock for a start and take a gravity reading. Steady over 3 days will give you an idea how its going. There can be trapped gas or extra c02 that is still being let out.

its at a constant 24 degrees, now at about 1.012 (ish)

I say you have a bad case of the yeast farts :ph34r:

And your beer is done, as above check in a few more days if it reads the same, bottle up and enjoy :party:

airlock-kitten.jpg

24*C isn't too cold. 1.012... it wont have too much longer to go, most of my ales ferment out for around 14 days anyway... lagers even longer. Once you get the same gravity reading a couple days in a row should be right. I tend do leave ales around 14 then crash chill for around 5. She'll be right :) let her go

Yeah usually i leave it for about two weeks, they just never keep bubbling for this long.

Yeah usually i leave it for about two weeks, they just never keep bubbling for this long.

Ignore the bubbling, Your hydro will tell you when the beer is ready. Just because your brew is bubbling, does not mean its not finished fermenting, Just as if your beer is NOT bubbling, doesnt mean your brew is NOT fermenting.

Read the article on cling wrap

its at a constant 24 degrees, now at about 1.012 (ish)
Please tell me you didn't ferment this yeast at this temp..it does kinda prefer the ol lower temp thing..like say 12 to 16 degrees....that's one of the hallmarks of this yeast...
Looking at your OG , I'd say your almost done..just get 3 days of the same gravity and your good to go into your bottles or keg...
I'd suggest the reason you have such massive airlock activity at this stage is CO2 from your fermented beer....
This may be exacerbated by a high ferment temp ...
I do like cal commons btw...a personal favorite !
Cheers
Ferg

Back