Bubbles In Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luanero

Reaction score
Thankfully i can say that, for once in my life, I've managed to fulfill a New Year's resolution; I have now brewed beer! Well that was last year and now I figure there's not much left to justify such foolishness (making NYRs), so I plan to pretty much continue "as is" until the next stroke of genius hits me.

Anyway, for those with the patience to plough-through this mindless gibberish of a preamble/introduction I have a question; why do I have so many bubbles in my hydrometer sample?

For context, I have attempted to brew a pale ale, with, amongst other more appropriate things, SAF-04 yeast. I have a 22L brew in a 30L fermenter with two airlocks on it. The reason behind the two airlocks relates to my misguided attempts at setting up my fridge thermostat for an earlier batch, so I don't want to discuss that any further apart from to say that, one day after pitching they were, in unison, clearly venting gas, and now, eight days later, they appear motionless.

Today I have taken a gravity measurement to see about racking, and there appear to be a lot of bubbles effervescing from the sample.

Is this normal? I mean, I might have thought a few bubbles might be normal, but this looks like I'd just opened a can of softdrink and poured some into the hydrometer jar.

Now, in the time that I've taken to compose this little contribution to society I've noticed that the bubbles have somewhat abated (to what level I'm more familiar with observing), and also that the gravity reading has dropped 8-9 points.

So if nothing else it goes to show; you are more likely to drown in flat beer than fresh, so you're better off drinking it quickly.

Yeah that's normal. It's just CO2 from the yeast :)

There is a correct way to use a hydrometer, like all other brewing processes :lol:

After you pop it into your sample, give it a spin mate.

Cheers,

Screwy

yeah I tend to just get the sample put the hydrometer in the tube over the sink so if it over flows it wont go every where (first mistake i made) then twirl it in the tube and let it sit on a nice level surface for 5 mins this lets the bubbles desperse and may or may not give a more acurate reading (not to sure on that on) but I found its alot better as I used to try read it straight away and get 3 different readings haha

I'm just about to bottle my first brew, been having similar problems.

Sometimes spinning doesn't work too well and giving it a tap on top works better. Which ever way I choose I find I have to be quick to take a reading before more bubbles form.

Mark

Latest posts

Back