Bubbles In Beer Line

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brando

Reaction score
Guys,

I can't quite track down the problem here, but as you can see from the photos below I'm getting gas bubbles in my beer line. The resulting problem is that I'm getting too much head on the first beer of each day (i.e. the bubbles disappear after the first pour of each session, but appear again by the next night). I also seem to be losing gas pressure (in the connected keg only).

As you can see I don't have a clamp on either end of the beer line over the barbs. Not sure if that would matter. Perhaps it's a common problem with the use of bronco taps.

I've held the bronco tap in a bucket of water with the gas on to check for escaping bubbles, but there were none.

The beer line sits pretty much against the inside of the fridge door when closed, and I wonder whether this might be a warmer part of my fridge, and therefore is allowing co2 to come out of solution due to higher temp.

All suggestions are most welcome please.

IMG_0117_1.JPG

IMG_0118_1.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

Try the top of each out connection it has a flat screw driver whole, they may just need tightening, also add some food grade lube to your keg posts may seal up.

My beers foam more on the first pull and i reckon its because of the temp diff between beer and tap. I poor is not really a problem. I also get some bubble formation within the line.

Kleiny

Try the top of each out connection it has a flat screw driver whole, they may just need tightening, also add some food grade lube to your keg posts may seal up.

My beers foam more on the first pull and i reckon its because of the temp diff between beer and tap. I poor is not really a problem. I also get some bubble formation within the line.

Kleiny

I do have some lube on the posts, but will put a bit more fresh stuff on to see if that makes a difference.

I never thought about the top of the out connect maybe being loose - I'll go and check it out right now. Thanks for the response.

EDIT: the top of both the beer out and gas in posts were both what I would consider loose. I have tightened them now (but not too tight - being plastic and all). Good advice!

Use some lube while you take those connections apart Brando, on any O ring you come too

Just a quick bump in case anyone has some more thoughts on this.

Your beer lines are too long. co2 is coming out of solution in your beer lines, then when you open the tap this co2 rushes out and causes foaming.

This happened to me when I first started. The solution was to cut the beer lines so they were shorter.

Even better though is to use the smaller ID black tubing that's really flexible that craftbrewer sell (and maybe others, not sure). This stuff is great for bronco taps. I have one that is only 1 metre long and perfectly balanced.

Whats wrong with dredging a 100ml or so? Your talking about the beer in your line that sits overnight yeah? Mate I have never met a pub,brewery,ahb member that pours the first beer into a glass. You would always dish the shit from the line! if the line has been dormant i.e overnight.

edit, retract the "pub" comment

I would say that the beer in the lines is at a slightly higher temp than the keg - this will cause some of the gas to come out of solution. Gas bubbles will sit at the high point(s) in the line. As the volume of beer in the line is bugger all, it's more affected by temperature change than the kegs, so whilst the keg might be happy at 4C the lines and the air temp in the fridge is most likely higher.

Whats wrong with dredging a 100ml or so? Your talking about the beer in your line that sits overnight yeah? Mate I have never met a pub,brewery,ahb member that pours the first beer into a glass. You would always dish the shit from the line! if the line has been dormant i.e overnight.

edit, retract the "pub" comment

Don't waste good beer! I always pour the first beer into a glass. It's not like the line and beer has actually gotten hot.

Latest posts

Back