Bubblegum with WB06

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hpal

Reaction score
Brewed a Weissbier the other day and used WB06. 66 mash, 50/50 pils/wheat, Hallertau to 20 IBU. Tried a sample today, it's sitting at 1.010 and has massive bubblegum flavours which I was tno aiming for, more of the banana side and a bit of clove. Pitched at maybe 15 and fermented at 20-21. Any suggestions for turning the flavours around at this late stage? Cheers

I ferment at 15 for a few days then rise two degrees a day. Always clove, a bit of bubblegum and no banana. I dislike banana.

How quickly did you get to 21? I am mainly a WLP300 brewer but I keep my wheats below 20 until maybe a rest late in the ferment. Next time try a slow rise (no heat applied) from 15-18?

If it's at 1010, it's all over in terms of altering the fermentation profile. I find WB06 at 17' gives a good balance of clove and banana. I've heard higher temps (25) will get you all banana.

Personally, I love clove and bubblegum. Send it to me!

Time. When I've used it it starts bubble gum and a bit of clove and moves to mainly clove as it clears over the first month or so.

I have never been able to get any esters at all from WB06, always clove pheolics. Even if I get the temp up to 21-22C to get banana I always end up with clove.
Got me buggered how you guys get banana/bubblegum from this yeast.

I just lifted this from the Fementis website. I had planned to underpitch my up and coming wheat brew.

It has been noted, that low pitching rats increase the undesirable aroma levels such as acetaldehyde that reveal grassy and green apple aromas as well as estery levels characterized by fruity banana flavours.

Back