Bubblegum ,banana & Clove In Hefeweizen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simpletotoro

Reaction score
hi
bazooka joes invaded my hefeweizen...with just a hint of banana...can't taste any clove as bazooka joes nuked him i think...
anyone got any ideas on why i seem to have so much bubblegum flavour from this beer...i haven't bottled it yet and is my first hefeweizen...is it normal to have so much bubblegum in here ...is it like maybe the sulphur smell you get with lager yeasts and it will maybe dissapate over time or have i ballz it up ...my ferment temp 19-20/c...will the bubblegum subside over time and allow the banana to shine ?
the yeast used was that new dried jobby going about...(weizen dried yeast..i think its wb-06 not sure though if this code is right)
also i'm not going to cc this one and will bottle it either tommorrow or the day after would 155 g of cane sugar be alright in this style of beer for bulk priming?(22 litres) any and all thoughts appreicated ...thanks

recipe as follows
Schofferhofer Recipe

1* kg dried wheat malt
2.5 kg malted pils grain (german) [mashed 66/c for 1 hour in 12 litres of water]
1.5 kg malted wheat grain (australian)

33 g hersbucker @ 60 mins
10 g hersbucker @ 10 mins

yeast :weizen dried yeast
1* whirlfloc tablet @ 15 mins

made up to 22 litres

pitched low 18/c...temp control @ 19-20/c
sg 1050 fg 1010

cheers simpletotoro

Simple to toro
I am pretty sure that it is the banana that turns into bubble gum when fermented at too high a temp, at least with 3068. It IS possible that the dried wezien yeast turns some of the banana into bubble gum, I am not too sure as I have no experience with this yeast. Bubblegum isnt quite desirable in a weizen, as I am sure that you know, but it sounds like you did everything right, so I cannot pinpoint anything except for maybe the yeast.
Just thought I would let you know that it is the banana esters that can turn into bubblegum (if I recall correctly).
155g in 22L is a bit under 8g/L and should be fine for priming.
All the best
Trent

Simple to toro
I am pretty sure that it is the banana that turns into bubble gum when fermented at too high a temp, at least with 3068. It IS possible that the dried wezien yeast turns some of the banana into bubble gum, I am not too sure as I have no experience with this yeast. Bubblegum isnt quite desirable in a weizen, as I am sure that you know, but it sounds like you did everything right, so I cannot pinpoint anything except for maybe the yeast.
Just thought I would let you know that it is the banana esters that can turn into bubblegum (if I recall correctly).
155g in 22L is a bit under 8g/L and should be fine for priming.
All the best
Trent
cheers for that trent..ws my fear ...oh well i'll bottle the sucker anyway...see how she goes ...
anyone else got any thoughts on how i may have stuffed it up please let me know...i determined to get this style of beer right..
cheers st

Back