Brown malt and roast barley in a porter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy Christ. Why didn't anyone tell me about brown malt before?
Oh that's right, you did, Well it's fuckin' lovely in a porter or a stout innit guv?

Coffee and biscuits all in one. complements the roasts and gives them substance.

Yes

Holy Christ. Why didn't anyone tell me about brown malt before?
Oh that's right, you did, Well it's fuckin' lovely in a porter or a stout innit guv?

Coffee and biscuits all in one. complements the roasts and gives them substance.

Yes

Yep loving the brown malt. Need to up the % next time I use it but will definitely be a regular part of my stock.

Try a small mash of rb & brown malt and add the CLEAR wort to the end of the boil of your main wort

Hi Stuart ,
Sorry for the delay in replying , been a bit busy wi`t book !!.
Re : Dark wort (Brown , R/B etc) ; This was done in a few breweries to extend their product range / lines ,with the dark wort usually added with the sugar additions at the tail end of the boil ; IE: Pale, Darker & Stouts etc to get a few beers from one main extract mash . ( Allthough some brewers opted for a small ammount of Patent (Black) malt in the tail end of the boil to darken wort)
2nd ,the dark wort may have been added to the F.V to standardise colour at the end of primary fermentation (Again increasing the range if desired),
Cheers ,
Edd

Hi Stuart ,
Sorry for the delay in replying , been a bit busy wi`t book !!.
Re : Dark wort (Brown , R/B etc) ; This was done in a few breweries to extend their product range / lines ,with the dark wort usually added with the sugar additions at the tail end of the boil ; IE: Pale, Darker & Stouts etc to get a few beers from one main extract mash . ( Allthough some brewers opted for a small ammount of Patent (Black) malt in the tail end of the boil to darken wort)
2nd ,the dark wort may have been added to the F.V to standardise colour at the end of primary fermentation (Again increasing the range if desired),
Cheers ,
Edd

Hi Edd, thanks for that. Sounds like similar idea to adding dark grains towards the end of the mash to get colour and flavour without the harsher bitter notes they can add.
Cheers a d good luck with the book!

Been using just a teensy tad of brown in my bitters lately. I think I'll continue.

That and wlp 013 have changed my life.

Back