British Surfing Capital Aims To Curb Night-time Urine Wave

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boozy the clown

Reaction score
;)
British surfing capital aims to curb night-time urine wave
Britain's surfing capital Newquay, a magnet in particular for Australians in search of waves and raves, has introduced high-tech urinals to cater for the nocturnal demands of partying visitors, local officials say.

The pissoirs, which rise smoothly from the pavement at nightfall and disappear as silently at dawn, are designed to keep the streets clean around the resort's seafront centre, which has become an almost permanent party zone.

"Young men using the street as a toilet is not how we would like the town portrayed, and we needed to resolve the problem so that everyone in Newquay can benefit from the strong night-time economy," said local councillor Anne Boosey.

The three retractable urinals were installed after residents of the town in Cornwall, south-west England, complained that late-night revellers were emerging from pubs and clubs and relieving themselves against walls and in the open.

"Newquay is a place with an all-year-round night life and the problem is pretty much 12 months of the year, especially as large quantities of drink are consumed," added councillor Boosey.

Newquay, a one-time fishing village on the north Cornwall coast, has transformed itself into the capital of England's surfing scene, with 11 beaches stretching over seven miles of golden sand.

- AFP

Gee I wonder what happens if you are having a slash and the 'pissoir' decides its had enough? :blink:

One of my cousins from the uk "local councillor Anne Boosey"

i'd question whether the engineers who designed these toilets considered people passing out in them. Might be a bit rude waking up in a metal coffin recessed into the ground.

OTOH, back when I was doing Eng at uni most engineering students drank like it was a compedetive sport. I doubt any engineer I know whould have overlooked this obvious effect of Alcohol Induced Narcolepsy (AIN)

Anne Boosey?
Golden sand at Newquay?
Retracting urinals?

Surely this is a piss take?
:D

Here's a link for those curious minds: PDF file from Healthmatic.com

I'm worried about the state of the hole the loo retracts in to!
Looking at that design there would have to be an operator to make sure no-one was trapped in it when it retracted.

Not like the good ol' stinkers in Amsterdam

G%20Pissoir.jpg

I found this style too freaky, talk about stage fright!!!

Amsterdam_pissoir.JPG

LOL Boozy!
I used EXACTLY the same urinal in Amsterdam in Feb, also used a square one of similar design.
They're not much protection when ya gotta go and its hailing! (I started calling it snail, coz its more like lightly compacted snow, not ice like our hail)

Your right, they are stinkers! Can imagine what they're like in summer!

They had those at the Bruxellensis festival this year. Certainly strange taking a leak with people on the street walking past.

Latest posts

Back