Brisbane Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hefty

Reaction score
So Brisbane water will soon contain flouride.
I'm only just getting into partials and moving towards AG so I only know a little about the effects of an area's water profile on grain brewing (eg I know soft water is good for Pilsners, hard for English Bitters).

Can anyone who knows a lot about it break it down into laymen's terms for me and/or give me some suggestions about what kind of brews might better suit water containing more flouride?

Cheers!
Jono.

So Brisbane water will soon contain flouride.
I'm only just getting into partials and moving towards AG so I only know a little about the effects of an area's water profile on grain brewing (eg I know soft water is good for Pilsners, hard for English Bitters).

Can anyone who knows a lot about it break it down into laymen's terms for me and/or give me some suggestions about what kind of brews might better suit water containing more flouride?

Cheers!
Jono.

Try not to worry too much about water chemistry when youre starting out... I havent gone down that path yet cos it makes things like, a billion times more confusing! And it wont stop you brewing good beer...

Just be happy, cos Flouride is good for your teeth, which means drink more beer = see dentist less :lol:

Fluoride will only be at a couple of parts per million and will be undetectable. Apparently you can drink a few litres of tap water and still get less fluoride than in one cup of tea. Wouldn't worry.

More important to find out how much magnesium, calcium, sulphates and bicarb in the water. I'm working on that now but don't feel like paying the $90 fee for a council test.. <_<

Edit: I'm going AG soon and whilst not paranoid about water I certainly want to get into water chemistry because It's fairly important if you want to brew a really true to type Pilsen style Pilsener or 'genuine' Burton style UK Bitter, according to a lot of the 'advanced' info I have been reading on sites such as (sample page)

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14-2.html

I wonder what effect the water grid will have once operational??

I'd like to see the water reports once the recycled water is in circulation, 'cause that's a comin' soon.

Fluoride will only be at a couple of parts per million and will be undetectable. Apparently you can drink a few litres of tap water and still get less fluoride than in one cup of tea. Wouldn't worry.

More important to find out how much magnesium, calcium, sulphates and bicarb in the water. I'm working on that now but don't feel like paying the $90 fee for a council test.. <_<

BribieG,

I'm currently awaiting the latest water analysis from my Council & stressed the importance of including the above info. They have supplied this info in the past but only after a LOT of pushing & shoving from my good self.

$90? WTF! :blink:

TP :beer:

$90? WTF! :blink:

Shouldnt it be free public information considering its what youre all drinking? Arent they legally required to inform of what theyre putting in the water?

If it was a soft drink, it would require all of the ingrediants on the label, how can water be different?

If he's asking for his own sample of water to be tested, they'll charge for it if they can. The brisbane water chemical analysis is available here

Hey Bribie, I assume you have you contacted Cabwater?

Shouldnt it be free public information considering its what youre all drinking? Arent they legally required to inform of what theyre putting in the water?

If it was a soft drink, it would require all of the ingrediants on the label, how can water be different?

They are supposed to but I have to push & shove to get calcium, magnesiun & bicarbonate included in the water analysis report.
Just got my fingers crossed here. <_<

TP :beer:

so in a nutshell what beers should brisvegans be making if they aren't into modifiying their water?

mean Ph 7.8
mean alkalinity total 73
mean hardness total 123

so in a nutshell what beers should brisvegans be making if they aren't into modifiying their water?

mean Ph 7.8
mean alkalinity total 73
mean hardness total 123

Have a look at Palmer's nomograph here.

I think those numbers put you in the copper to brown range.

I don't modify the water if i'm doing a dark beer, pale - amber i'll do some mods depending on what the style/colour is.

Ah yes...another conspiricy theory...there was a lot of crap in there about flouride based tranqualisers and the like....but they are not the ones put in the water.

And if this whole " Mind control thing " was real....dont you think that half the population would be walking around in a controlled state...

I to beleive in fairies... :rolleyes:

I sometimes wonder if fluoride deficiency can cause paranoia... But it's a pretty funny read, and anytime anyone tries to debunk it, they say that it's the fluoride affecting that person's judgment.

Ah yes...another conspiricy theory...there was a lot of crap in there about flouride based tranqualisers and the like....but they are not the ones put in the water.

And if this whole " Mind control thing " was real....dont you think that half the population would be walking around in a controlled state...

I don't want to cause any arguments but some people are hopelessly uneducated on the topic of flouride, read the book "The flouride Deception" and look at some research about flouride that isn't funded by the goverment (with a vested interest). At least then, people can have an educated opinion and simultaniously realise the goverment cares ONLY about the bottom line.
Ducatiboy stu it sound like you are one of the ones walking around in a controlled state ...

That's enough of a rant (i'm out of beer!)

I don't want to cause any arguments but some people are hopelessly uneducated on the topic of flouride, read the book "The flouride Deception" and look at some research about flouride that isn't funded by the goverment (with a vested interest). At least then, people can have an educated opinion and simultaniously realise the goverment cares ONLY about the bottom line.
Ducatiboy stu it sound like you are one of the ones walking around in a controlled state ...

That's enough of a rant (i'm out of beer!)

Yeah & I am getting radiation poisoning from my LCD screen :unsure:

To be honest, I'm more concerned about drinking recycled water than flouride. Unscrupulous people put all kinds of stuff down the sewer. Beattie said it would be done only in an armageddon situation, ATM the dams are over 40% Why don't they pump all the recycled stuff to the power stations? Looks like a water tank is the next thing on the list.

cheers

Browndog

Back