Brisbane North Water Profile - What Is It Telling Me?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lengths we go too unwinding QUU's hard water.

The evidence is clear at my house. QUU have changed their service and supply. More so recently I noticed a change in the hard water, Jan-18 - May-18 the toilet cistern and bowl caked like no other years, 1-2mm in thickness of hard water chemical build up. I had to chemically etch and physically remove. The kettle also popped its seals. I did a few tests of leaving some tap water in a glass to naturally evaporate over a few days and hello residue lines. I won't get into the scent, but showering is like a taking a dip in a public pool.

Unlike the council days of water included, they would flush the ends of lines to a yearly schedule.
Obey your masters of water! MASTER!
Now QUU want you to call to have the lines flushed, but we pay more than the rest of us. The lowest quarterly bill is $260-270 for 1 kl and services.
This is part of the case I am writing to QUU.

Sad days, I stopped brewing as even filtering, boiling, cooling seemed ok to drink, but the beer batches where noticeably getting worse in taste. And who wants crappy outcomes.

And thank you for the information and tips to work around the hard water profiles.
Maybe I will start again, learn those chords again.

The lengths we go too unwinding QUU's hard water.

The evidence is clear at my house. QUU have changed their service and supply. More so recently I noticed a change in the hard water, Jan-18 - May-18 the toilet cistern and bowl caked like no other years, 1-2mm in thickness of hard water chemical build up. I had to chemically etch and physically remove. The kettle also popped its seals. I did a few tests of leaving some tap water in a glass to naturally evaporate over a few days and hello residue lines. I won't get into the scent, but showering is like a taking a dip in a public pool.

Unlike the council days of water included, they would flush the ends of lines to a yearly schedule.
Obey your masters of water! MASTER!
Now QUU want you to call to have the lines flushed, but we pay more than the rest of us. The lowest quarterly bill is $260-270 for 1 kl and services.
This is part of the case I am writing to QUU.

Sad days, I stopped brewing as even filtering, boiling, cooling seemed ok to drink, but the beer batches where noticeably getting worse in taste. And who wants crappy outcomes.

And thank you for the information and tips to work around the hard water profiles.
Maybe I will start again, learn those chords again.
Where are you located?
Little RO unit or store bought water is always a stop gap solution. Last batch I did was a bit off but it was also a thrown together mini mash kit n bit on a Friday night because no beer.
2 inline filters and only corrected wort pH.

This is a great help reading through this thread.

So dark beers can go too acidic when mashing. I'm about to brew a RIS with an og of 1.100. Ive read a bit about bicarb additions to couter this. Was wondering if any north brisbane brewers could comment on if they use bicarb to counter the acidity caused by dark malts when brewing with brissie tap water? I have a ph meter coming in the mail
Geez a bit late, missed this. I've never used bicarb for pH correction.
Only acidated malt calcium sulphate get lower.
I think calcium carbonate is what is commonly used.

Latest posts

Back