Brigalow Apple Cider / White Floaties

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesc

Reaction score
hi,
i did a batch of apple cider the other day (thu 12th jan) and it has been brewing since, today when i checked it there seems (from what i can see through the top of the fermenter ) white clumps floating around on the top.. is this yeast ? mold ??
Fermentation seems to have stopped but when i take a reading it looks like its already carbonated in the tube i use for the hydrometer, tastes ok but bit of a yeasty taste though.

Any comments hints tips or is it stuffed and i tip it down the drain.

James

jamesc said:
white clumps floating around on the top.. is this yeast ? mold ??
[post="104104"][/post]​

Hi jamesc

Any chance of a pic of the white stuff? Is it stringy at all (sign of infection).

There is a fair chance that it is just yeast if it is clean and white. Any discolouration is a fair sign on mould.

Cheers
Pedro

jamesc said:
..when i take a reading it looks like its already carbonated in the tube i use for the hydrometer, ...
[post="104104"][/post]​
This always used to happen to me, then I realised that I was filling the sample tube too fast. Just crack open the tap and let the sample tube fill nice and slow, and it's less 'carbonated' in appearance.

BeerIsGood said:
jamesc said:
..when i take a reading it looks like its already carbonated in the tube i use for the hydrometer, ...
[post="104104"][/post]​
This always used to happen to me, then I realised that I was filling the sample tube too fast. Just crack open the tap and let the sample tube fill nice and slow, and it's less 'carbonated' in appearance.
[post="104185"][/post]​

Thanks for the help guys i bottled it today, all was good it was just some yeast patches on top, (they had dissapeared by today).

james

Latest posts

Back