Bridge Road Pale Ale - Remarkably Bad

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to email the brewery and had a reply 2 hours later ....

Hi Michael,
Thanks for letting me know.
We have had some infection issues in the past popping up well down the track a couple of months after stock has left the Brewery. We havent had any instances of this for some time, over the last 6-8months, we keep old stock here and check it from time to time to see how it develops over a year or so.
I can only assume the stock is quite old, however age does not create an infection it just gives it time to develop, it must first be present in the beer at bottling. Hence any sourness is our fault, bitterness is too but thats deliberate.
We encourage feedback and send replacements out to anyone who goes to the length of letting us know of any bad experiences they may have had.
If this has been the case for you I would like to send you some current stock to reinstall your faith in our brews.
Feel free to let your forum buddies know the same, we will be more than happy to send them some beer they can enjoy, rather than having to tip it down the sink.

Cheers and thanks
Ben

.... I received a mixed 6 pack today so hopefully I will be sampling some good beer shortly.

I got a mixed 6 pack delivered yesterday and the 2 I tried last night were fine. If they are willing to replace the beer if you have any issues I don't have any problems buying it...

I have found Ben most approachable on issues like this.

I had an issue with a saison that I bought off them, and without hesitation he posted out a replacement brew and threw in a bottle of their dunkel as well.

Great customer service.

Apart from that one hiccup, I have thought that Bridge Road Brewery produces some mighty fine drops, I hope that your experience has not put you off trying more of their beers.

The beers I have had from Brige Rod have been brilliant..

pity they are more widely available..

I must have picked up a case of infected APA back in July. This was actually from the brewery. The sourness was barely noticeable at first but time has given it legs. I was initially not sure that it was infected but it became more and more obvious. However, Ben and his wife were very hospitable when we visited, and his beers were truly excellent, thus I am not upset. We got the outstanding porter, and some IPA and APA to take home. It's a pity that people in Qld do not seem to get the best quality product - probably to do with unrefrigerated trucks.

I love the beers from there, the Pale Ale on tap is my favourite.

I can second (& 3rd & 4th etc.) that Bridge Road Brews are fantastic! It's a shame that there have been problems, and I cannot help but think that the recurring theme of Dan Murphy's in most of them indicates a major problem. Turnover of stock seems to be a major issue. My advice would be to stop buying at Dan's and find a local, small, independent retailer who carries smaller stock loads, and therefore goes through a rotational cycle a little more often...

My advice would be to stop buying at Dan's and find a local, small, independent retailer who carries smaller stock loads, and therefore goes through a rotational cycle a little more often...
I see that you can also buy direct from their web site.
Didn't see how much delivery costs though.

Their APA came second in the microbrewing.com.au contest that was recently judged.

I see that you can also buy direct from their web site.
Didn't see how much delivery costs though.

Their APA came second in the microbrewing.com.au contest that was recently judged.

When I last checked delivery was about $10 a case to NSW/VIC/ACT.

Bridge Rd would have to be one of the best small breweries in vic......their oktoberfest on the 9th and 10th of oct is amazing.

Just trying this pale ale now.

Its great! Prob on or just over in terms of my limits on bitterness, but its alright because its got so many other interesting parts to it
that i find hard to put words to.
Nice fruity aroma and taste, with a little maltiness there to keep the balance.
Nice thick head which is retained to near bottom of the glass.
I think this is an exciting beer, every mouth full is a little adventure.

Its bitterness is quite bold, can anyone put a number to the IBUs on this beer?

Just trying this pale ale now.

Its great! Prob on or just over in terms of my limits on bitterness, but its alright because its got so many other interesting parts to it
that i find hard to put words to.
Nice fruity aroma and taste, with a little maltiness there to keep the balance.
Nice thick head which is retained to near bottom of the glass.
I think this is an exciting beer, every mouth full is a little adventure.

Its bitterness is quite bold, can anyone put a number to the IBUs on this beer?

They are constantly reworking it, a pot I had at Mrs Parmas a few months ago was the best I've had in a while. I'd guess somewhere around 35IBUs.

I decided to email the brewery and had a reply 2 hours later ....

Hi Michael,
Thanks for letting me know.
We have had some infection issues in the past popping up well down the track a couple of months after stock has left the Brewery. We haven't had any instances of this for some time, over the last 6-8months, we keep old stock here and check it from time to time to see how it develops over a year or so.
I can only assume the stock is quite old, however age does not create an infection it just gives it time to develop, it must first be present in the beer at bottling. Hence any sourness is our fault, bitterness is too but that's deliberate.
We encourage feedback and send replacements out to anyone who goes to the length of letting us know of any bad experiences they may have had.
If this has been the case for you I would like to send you some current stock to reinstall your faith in our brews.
Feel free to let your forum buddies know the same, we will be more than happy to send them some beer they can enjoy, rather than having to tip it down the sink.

Cheers and thanks
Ben

.... I received a mixed 6 pack today so hopefully I will be sampling some good beer shortly.

Really amazingly late in responding to this but this kind of thing is exactly what separates a brewery that deserves to succeed from one that doesn't.

Rather than trying to defend a bad beer or putting the onus back on the consumer, they have admitted having issues, suggested what they are doing to eliminate them and offering replacements. I'd like to know how you fared with the replacements Mick if you ever read this.

I've had bad beer, emailedthe relevant brewery to politely suggest that maybe the beer wasn't as it was intended on consumption and been politely informed that my palate wasn't developed enough to understand the intricacies of the brew.

Shit like that really doesn't make me want to give them the time of day.

Back