Brewstand Ii

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justsomeguy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought it was about time that I sent a picture of the new brew stand. After relocating to Perth and having to leave the old brewstand behind I had the chance to build a new one with a few refinements. This version is a wider stand set up as a two tier system. A march pump handles moving water and wort around the place and I've got plenty of storage space underneath for all of the other bits and pieces. I'm still using electric elements for heating (wouldn't go back to gas in a pink fit ). The stand is mounted on large casters so I can wheel it out into the sunshine on brew day. I've also set it up so that I could change easily to a single tier system in the future if I ever wanted to.

So here it is.

stand.jpg

The kegs underneath are currently empty. I'm brewing nearly every weekend to get beer into them before xmas. Couldn't bring any over from Melbourne :(

I'll post pics of the new keg freezer shortly.

Hope you all like it.

gary

Nice Gary ,

It is great to have a brewstand to organise your breing process .

I wish I could weld .

Would you normally have the Plastic mash tun on the lower level and the HLT on the higher level ?

Pumpy :)

Electrics pretty cool, but I've got an electric HLT and it kinda ruins a brewday when the power goes off. But then it stuffs the march pump as well, so...

BTW...Welcome to Perth :D

Nice Gary ,

It is great to have a brewstand to organise your breing process .

I wish I could weld .

Would you normally have the Plastic mash tun on the lower level and the HLT on the higher level ?

The old stand I had worked reasonably well but had its problems. I prefer this one because I've got heaps of space underneath to store the various bits and pieces and the area under the top tier is sizsed so that I can side several 40 old litre storage boxes in there and be able to open them without moving stuff around. Something like having drawers with lids. Very cool because the lids protect the stuff inside from splashes and the like.

I have the mash tun on the top level. From left to right in the picture there is mash tun, kettle and HLT on the right. I batch sparge so pump from the HLT to the mash tun then let it drain via gravity directly into the kettle. If I was fly sparging then I'd have the HLT on the top tier using gravity to feed the mash tun and the pump to pump from the mash tun to the kettle.

Even SWMBO is impressed with it. Reckons it looks the goods and is even impressed with how my welding skills aren't quite as crap as they were. Just quietly, I think she's butterring me up from some serious 'you can build me this and that and that other thing' stuff. Its quite funny to compare my first couple of welds on the stand with the last few and the dramatic difference.

gary

Even SWMBO is impressed with it. Reckons it looks the goods and is even impressed with how my welding skills aren't quite as crap as they were. Just quietly, I think she's butterring me up from some serious 'you can build me this and that and that other thing' stuff. Its quite funny to compare my first couple of welds on the stand with the last few and the dramatic difference.

gary

They like things to look neat Gary. ;)

ladder to mash in?

Nope. I'm 6 foot tall so can see inside the mash tun. I suppose it may be a little high but I can cope with that annoyance. I think the fact that I can store all my brew gear underneath the stand rather than all around the shed is enough of an offset to the height thing. It also means I don't have to bend too much if my back is playing up.

gary

Back