Brewing With Rainwater

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd suggest using your rainwater as is the 1st time.

My next TTL will be using straight rainwater.

In the past (for bitters) i added CaSO4, CaCl2 and CaCO3 to get 50 ppm of Ca without adding vast amounts of Cl, SO4 or CO3.

I've been using tank water since my tap water started to taste like dirt. We had a big down pour after a long dry spell which apparently washed excess manganate was washed into the dams. Dirt flavored beer ain't the best taste.

I've only done ten or so AG's and I haven't started to play around with water chemistry yet except for an addition of 5.2 stabilizer for the mash and all of my beers have turned out great.

My roof is corrugated iron with a bit of rust in the guttering and I'm using a poly tank. I guess one important thing to consider is the amount of leaf matter that might collect in your guttering, or maybe this is not an issue? I guess I should get up on the roof and have a look

I'd suggest using your rainwater as is the 1st time.

My next TTL will be using straight rainwater.

In the past (for bitters) i added CaSO4, CaCl2 and CaCO3 to get 50 ppm of Ca without adding vast amounts of Cl, SO4 or CO3.

I was thinking of using it straight the first time too.

I've only ever used rainwater. 30+ BIABS with no probs to date.

I do run 20 micron and 5 micron filters to the house supply which are replaced regularly.

Have brewed with rainwater for 15 years and never had add brewing salts untill I started all grain (biab) where if I don't add salts I go from 75-80% efficiency to 45-50%(living on the coast so maybe this has something to do with efficiecies

Latest posts

Back