Brewing Soft Drinks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real solution to this problem is Oztops. There are a few threads on this forum somewhere about Oztops. Buy the PET bottle lids in a kit with two types of yeast from your homebrew shop for a little more than $20. It will make hundreds of litres of alcoholic fruit drink: very drinkable very cheap. It is the only home brewing related drink my wife will touch.

deebee said:
The real solution to this problem is Oztops.

It is the only home brewing related drink my wife will touch.
[post="103312"][/post]​

Amen brother!

Berri dark grape juice is the bomb, the P&N brand one does not turn out quite as well.

Also Ocean Spray cranbery juice does not ferment :(

All,

Rather than start a new thread on Ginger Beer- I've hijacked this one.

Something really weird seems to have happended to my lastest batch of GB.

The forumla is simple- Coopers Kit, 300g dextrose, 1kg of raw sugar and around 25g of fresh ginger- soaked in Vodka for 10 minutes and then addded to the primary. I made the volume up to 21l ( instead of the 19 recommended) and used an English Ale yeast- OG around 1030.

Fermentation seemed very slow and so I added the yeast that came with the kit ( Coopers standard ale yeast) and it kicked on. Measured the SG last night ( in primary for around 10 days now) and got a reading close to 1.00 - What the !

Didn't think this was possible - any thoughts.

Tastes OK - any thoughts as to how Iwould have got an SG equivalent to pure water.

Thanks

T

More than possible that you get less than 1.000.... remember that ethanol has a gravity of <1.000, so the more ethanol, the lower your gravity will be... combined with the yeasties tending to consume the stuff with gravity >1.000, so the yeast do all the work, but there are two reasons why your grav will drop. All of that sugar in there is fully fermentable, and will contribute to the low result as it gets converted to alcohol.

dreamboat

1.000 isnt unusual for a sugar based brew. There is still residual sugar there, but the gravity it adds is equal to the gravity lost as a result of the presence of the alcohol, giving you a reading similar to water.

Thanks guys, I've never encountered an FG that low before. I usually have the opposite problem. On to bottling.

Cheers

T

PS - of cousre I use the terms "guys" in its non-sexist sense

Latest posts

Back