Brewing In Winter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found that the last 2 ales I've fermented this winter to be the most stable since setting up a brewcraft heat pad, fridgemate controller and a sheet of air-cell insulation. Set at 19c I've only really ever noticed a plus or minus shift of 1 degree regardless if I'm using a 30ltr or 60ltr barrel which is quite acceptable in my books.

med_gallery_1544_221_132541.jpg

The ambient temp in my garage seems to be around 15c at the mo.
That fermenter looks like it could take off and reach the outer limits of the stratosphere :lol:

This little Aussie company needs a plug.

http://www.burker.com.au/products.php?base=1

They make a fermentation heater (similar to an aquarium heater). Factory preset to 22dC, it is just the job for winter ales, and most importantly, keeps a constant temperature, no matter what.

Has a bung (to make it airtight) and is fully submersible. :eek:

cheers
Dave.

16-20'C = Ale

8-15'C = Lager

Thats my reckoning for my yeast usage and thats what I'm sticking too. I generally find that I don't have any problems by doing this. My favoured ale temp is 17 to 18'C, favoured lager is 10-12'C for a nice clean taste. Alternatively, you can make a psuedo-lager by using US-05 and fermenting at 15 to 17'C as it is a clean yeast to start with and I'd recommend it if you want to make a "lager" but can't get the temperatures down enough.

The hell with pads and belts and immersion heaters, doesn't do it for me at all...unless you have a coolroom or fridgemate setup going on where the temp will stay where you want it. Also, anything over 20'C for me and its classed as a f*** up, too many esters...although this is what you want in some styles.

Cheers all, my rant is over - boingk

This little Aussie company needs a plug.

http://www.burker.com.au/products.php?base=1

They make a fermentation heater (similar to an aquarium heater). Factory preset to 22dC, it is just the job for winter ales, and most importantly, keeps a constant temperature, no matter what.

Has a bung (to make it airtight) and is fully submersible. :eek:

cheers
Dave.

Yes, been using one of these for my ales for the last few brews. It really does a great job. Have mine set to either 18C or 20C depending on the style and yeast. Saves on getting a second mashmaster and a heat pad.

Also allows me to keep all the brewing in the garage, just wrap a blanket around it.

Yes, been using one of these for my ales for the last few brews. It really does a great job. Have mine set to either 18C or 20C depending on the style and yeast. Saves on getting a second mashmaster and a heat pad.

Also allows me to keep all the brewing in the garage, just wrap a blanket around it.

Those heaters look good but how do they sit in a standard 30 litre fermenter?

I have Fermnter, tap at bottom and airlock at top, how do you get the wiring into the fermenter whilst maintaining a seal? I can see they have bungs attached at the top. Did you drill a hole in your fermenter?

I'm right on the edge temperature-wise. Am just maintaining 18-20C indoors in Sydney at the moment with the occasional boost from an oil heater in the room, not the most efficent way to heat a big barrel of liquid!

Just finished a Munton's Nut Brown and Morgan's AME brew, 1034/1008, looked lovely, my finest yeast cake to date too, Safale yeast to thank I guess, a real 3cm deep Yeasy pie down there, lovely :D but the next Ale might be pushing it to keep it above the 18C mark.

I have a stout and a belgian pale in the garage starting to ferment now.
Stuck my head in this morning and the cheap indoor/outdoor temp gauge I'm using was showing 14'C, and the probe lead lying on the concrete floor was showing 13'C.

Yep, should've done a lager, but at heart I'm an Ale-man. Besides, the stout had a nice kruasen forming, so all's good.

Cowra winter are really cold and I brew in the garage which is bloody cold.

First of all I wrap the fermenter in a blanket to insulate it.

I use a submersible aquarium heater. Dial up whatever temperature you like and let it go. Cost about $25 and fail safe.

I put an ale on yesterday arv. Right up til the money shot I was debating whether to pitch a lager yeast S-189, only a kit and bits not really to any particular style (CSA tin, morgans LME and some cascade) or continue on with the ale - US-05. Went ahead with the ale. I usually use a bar fridge in the shed for my fermenting and so I then had the dillemma of whether to run my fridge or heater belt off the fridgemate. I went with the fridge at 18 degrees. I think it has only turned on for a while at the very start.
It was 5 degrees outside last night and so I checked on the progress this morning about half 7 expecting the worst but was pleasantly suprised to see my fridgemate showing 17 and that a krausen was well and truely taking shape. I just now got home from work and I've still got 17 degrees and some good co2 action so am relieved that it at least got firing and will hopefully keep on to the finish line at around the same temp. I may throw the belt on towards the end just to make sure it completely ferments out before bottling.

The point of this long-winded tale is that with enough insulation, all should be ok.

Those heaters look good but how do they sit in a standard 30 litre fermenter?

I have Fermnter, tap at bottom and airlock at top, how do you get the wiring into the fermenter whilst maintaining a seal? I can see they have bungs attached at the top. Did you drill a hole in your fermenter?

Hello dere db,

I've got a clip on lid type plastic bucket thingo, :unsure: , so I just got the hole saw and put a hole in the top.

Instructions on the box tell you what the hole size is. It is then dropped
through the hole and the rubber bung seals it all up.

cheers
Dave.

I have a stout and a belgian pale in the garage starting to ferment now.
Stuck my head in this morning and the cheap indoor/outdoor temp gauge I'm using was showing 14'C, and the probe lead lying on the concrete floor was showing 13'C.

Yep, should've done a lager, but at heart I'm an Ale-man. Besides, the stout had a nice kruasen forming, so all's good.

Now my temperature at night in my laundry is about 14, they days however are getting warmer, 18,19. Is this ok to start an ale?
Or canadian blonde kit?

Now my temperature at night in my laundry is about 14, they days however are getting warmer, 18,19. Is this ok to start an ale?
Or canadian blonde kit?

As long as you get a healthy fermentation there should be no problem.
What yeast ar you using?
I can not vouch for yeast in the can but some yeast like S-05 and S0-4 ferment great around 15-16c degrees.
Just raise the temp after 5-6 days to ensure it ferment out nicely yuo'll end up with nice clean ale.

As long as you get a healthy fermentation there should be no problem.
What yeast ar you using?
I can not vouch for yeast in the can but some yeast like S-05 and S0-4 ferment great around 15-16c degrees.
Just raise the temp after 5-6 days to ensure it ferment out nicely yuo'll end up with nice clean ale.

Wicked thanks for that. Got to get into it before it's too late.....

Latest posts

Back