Brewing In Winter (europe)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbo007

Reaction score
Hello all,
Just wondering whats the score with brewing in winter time. I'm currently in Spain and the winters are not that cold but temperature in my house gets down to about 10-13 degrees when I don't have the central heating on.

Would I be able to brew without problems? Don't really want to leave the central heating on all the time as its too expensive.

My doubts lie in if the fermenting process will work at lower temps.

Cheers,

Rob

If you use a lager yeast you'll be fine in that temperature range. You may also find that fermentation is slightly warmer than room temperature as well.

I wish we had that here. Has been 30+ all week and the fermenting fridge is working overtime!

Cheers

If you can rig up a small fermenter cupboard or box of some kind with a heat source ie. a light bulb, reptile heater, or even hot water bottles, that should be a little more manageable than relying on the central heating.

Yeah, lager's are the go.
It's a shame you've got that pesky France separating you from Germany eh?
Then again, its only about a 900km round trip...

Yeah, lager's are the go.
It's a shame you've got that pesky France separating you from Germany eh?
Then again, its only about a 900km round trip...

hahaha. ok thanks for all the replies. I'm going to give the larger yeast a shot. I want to brings costs down to a minimum :)

Back