Brewing Coarses

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobjF

Reaction score
Hi guys.I'm in the process of moving from partial mash brewing to all grain. I live in an area with no brew clubs and not a lot of other brewers to converse with. I have been thinking about going on a brewing coarse to try and gain a bit more knowledge. I have been looking at Vincen costanzo's coarses was wondering if any one had been on one or if they new of any others available in the Melbourne area.Cheers rob

Hi guys.I'm in the process of moving from partial mash brewing to all grain. I live in an area with no brew clubs and not a lot of other brewers to converse with. I have been thinking about going on a brewing coarse to try and gain a bit more knowledge. I have been looking at Vincen costanzo's coarses was wondering if any one had been on one or if they new of any others available in the Melbourne area.Cheers rob

Before you give anyone any cash - come down to the smoke for a day here and there and attend a couple of the free demos at Grain & Grape on a Saturday morning (website for details) - you'll get a lot of your questions answered for nothing, and if you do decide you want to go to a paid course later, you'll get more out of it.

They're on a couple of times a month and demonstrate different AG brewing methods on the different dates.

Cheers

TB

note: I am a presenter at the BIAB demos, so I'm not exactly a neutral party or anything.... but they're still pretty damn good value at the bargain price of "free"

Before you give anyone any cash - come down to the smoke for a day here and there and attend a couple of the free demos at Grain & Grape on a Saturday morning (website for details) - you'll get a lot of your questions answered for nothing, and if you do decide you want to go to a paid course later, you'll get more out of it.

They're on a couple of times a month and demonstrate different AG brewing methods on the different dates.

Cheers

TB

note: I am a presenter at the BIAB demos, so I'm not exactly a neutral party or anything.... but they're still pretty damn good value at the bargain price of "free"
Hey Thirsty why dont you make a vid ?
Nev

Thanks TB I do a lot of shopping at G&G had thought about going to a demo. Will have to check when the next ones on.
Thanks again.

When I was starting out this youtube video also helped me a ton for working out how all-grain works at a very basic level:

But Thirsty Boy is right. If you can watch the whole process first hand, you see how easy it is and can then replicate it yourself very easily - so the best way is to attend a brew day, whether that is at G&G or getting in touch with a brewer.

The courses are good - I spoke to a guy working at a LHBS who had attended Vince's course and have met Vince and he's a nice enough guy - so you could go that way, but what TB suggests as a starting point is a good idea.

Good luck with it - as someone who started all-graining 5 years ago I can say that the resulting beers you get out makes the time you spend on the hobby very worthwhile.

Hopper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like SteelJan's BIAB tutorial.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can happily vouch for the G&G demo's and in particular the BIAB ones. Got me started on AG BIAB and I'm now progressing to 3v as a result.

I looked at the course and thought too expensive for what it was.

I went to the grain and grape demo on Saturday, its got me across the line to try BIAB all grain for my next brew.

There's only so much a video can tell you. At the demo they answer questions and do the brew in real time 3 hours or so, instead of one edited down to 10mins on youtube.
For me i learnt more in those 3-4 hours than i did searching and reading the internet the last few week.
It filled in all the blanks for example like why mash at this temp for this long.
Also the simple stuff that you wouldn't think to talk about they do.

Its free and they have free beer to sample and a bbq.

Hey Thirsty why dont you make a vid ?
Nev

We probably will one of these days - not interested in doing a half arsed iphone to youtube type scenario, plenty of that sort of rubbish out there already. If and when we do it, we'll get in someone who knows what they're doing from a production point of view and do it right.

The stars will need to align - time, money, organisational skills etc are against doing it with good production and learning outcome values and I'm not willing to do it any other way. It'll probably remain a concept for some period of time.

Have thought about doing a live webcast with chat from one of the demos though..... thats more likely to happen.

Hell - maybe I'll just get off my arse and design a brewing course of my own. Eek some value out of all the years I spent at Uni learning how to be a vocational educator.

Not only are the G&G demos a good idea, You'll find that many all grain brewers will invite you over for a brew-day if you ask. Brew clubs also run brew-day events (Melbourne Brewers do 1 or 2 each year) which you could attend and see multiple systems in use at the same time. Either way you'd get a hands on approach and likely learn all you need to know without having to spend big $'s.

Not only are the G&G demos a good idea, You'll find that many all grain brewers will invite you over for a brew-day if you ask. Brew clubs also run brew-day events (Melbourne Brewers do 1 or 2 each year) which you could attend and see multiple systems in use at the same time. Either way you'd get a hands on approach and likely learn all you need to know without having to spend big $'s.

This is how i started. I think the grumpy's forum was the only beer forum i went onto at the time ( 04 ). I went to a brewclub day, through a bloke at work, and got to see a mash for myself, and ask all the stupid questions, which were answered happily. Few months later i was mashing and on this place. So much easier seeing it live for yourself, and usually get to have a few quality beers with some quality people in the meantime!!

This is how i started. I think the grumpy's forum was the only beer forum i went onto at the time ( 04 ). I went to a brewclub day, through a bloke at work, and got to see a mash for myself, and ask all the stupid questions, which were answered happily. Few months later i was mashing and on this place. So much easier seeing it live for yourself, and usually get to have a few quality beers with some quality people in the meantime!!

I also started off this way.

The IBU's have an annual brew day which I went along to and realised how much easier it was then I initially thought. Head to one of those, or a fellow brewers brew day, pick at some brains, and then feel free to dive further into the darkness with paid brewing courses.

the demo's at Grain and Grape are worth the trip.while your there you can stock up on brew supply's.

Back