Brewing Classic Styles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhouken

Reaction score
Found this great book by Jamil Z and John P as I am looking for partial brew recipes (do not yet have the kit for AG). Really great collection of recipes. However most call for Munich, Pilsner and English Pale Ale LME. These seem to be hard to find and in quantities required costs are prohibitive. Putting a bit of a damper on things. Is it what it is or should I look elsewhere for recipes. Would like to try a Bitburger and Russian Imperial Stout styles.

For the English PA extract, just use whatever pale extract you get normally, and I think morgans do munich extracts so that might be of help, they might even do a pilsner extract. Check G&G, I'm pretty sure they stock their range

CraftBrewer have some new extracts in stock, check out their "latest products" section, some of these might be suitable.

Grain and grape and craftbrewer stock the briess range of products now which includes their malt extracts, depending on where you are you should check them out. CB also stock the weyermann extracts, but you're right there about the price being prohibitive.

The Brew Shop carries Briess malts including pils, Munich and English styled extracts plus other types. The liquid malt is approx $11.95 for 1.5 kg. I just noticed them when I was in the shop and thought I might try them to see what they are like, if I ever get the time.

Found this great book by Jamil Z and John P as I am looking for partial brew recipes (do not yet have the kit for AG). Really great collection of recipes. However most call for Munich, Pilsner and English Pale Ale LME. These seem to be hard to find and in quantities required costs are prohibitive. Putting a bit of a damper on things. Is it what it is or should I look elsewhere for recipes. Would like to try a Bitburger and Russian Imperial Stout styles.

Its been a while back now but if I recall Morgans has a range of specialty malt extracts.Master Malt range I think, which had a Munich/Vienna combo at a specified percentage plus other types of specialty malt blends, wheat, rice etc.
Try giving your Morgan stockist LHBS a call.
As I say a while ago now, not sure if the range still exists.
Daz

Check out the appendices at the back of BCS about how to do a mini-mash.

You can do this in a saucepan or large pot depending on the volume you need. Get a suitable cloth/mesh bag or have a good fine strainer.

Use the weight of grain from the all-grain option section of the recipe.

Buy some grain from the site sponsors and make your own extract.

Easy as. Cheap as.

Add your base extract and you're away.

Kev

Back