Brewing A Barleywine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make it to 100 IBU's

Will most likely need a 2hour boil.
I use some marris otter, munich, caramunich and dark wheat in mine.
Also use some golden syrup.

I use 1728 scotish Ale yeast - don't want to give too many secrets away as it was Best AG at SABSOSa in 2007 and runner up in 2008.
:)

And another datapoint.

Mine was best beer of show at Bathhurst and was
2 hr boil
100% pale malt
No golden syrup or sugar
attenuated fine with 1056 (1.100 down to 1.017 from memory)
Was pitched on a yeast cake
Did a split with 1728 and liked the 1056 better

I did a secondary fermentation and would recommend against it, too much oxygen exposure, soon after winning best of show it went downhill fast.

I used about two cups of slurry and stired the wort for about 3 mins. Centenial, Chinook and Simcoe for flavour, Warrior for bittering.

cheers

Browndog

Have had an American Barleywine on the todo list for a while. Good on you guys for having a bash, the 6 months to 3 year ageing period has been putting me off. But hey, the 2 year old doppelbock I've been enjoying lately proves just how age can improve big beers. So I think I might move plans forward and give one a go.

Screwy

Im planning this for Sunday or Monday I think, I would like something like this for a Nightcap during Winter or whenever really.... :icon_drunk: And a good time to brew now for next years QABC.. :icon_cheers:

As ive heard "JUST BREW IT"

Ok, nearly time to take the 1st runnings on this beer, I have adjusted the Recipe quite a bit from my initial one I had done, big on hops for the Ageing and Im hoping to get the IBU's up a little more with No-Chillin, I have read that Hop Utilisation can drop quite considerably with BIG BEERS... ;)

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: The Bays Big Barleywine
Brewer: Jody Fischer
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Barleywine
TYPE: All Grain Taste: (35.0)
Recipe Specifications --------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 29.95 L
Estimated OG: 1.108 SG
Estimated Color: 25.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 92.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 120 Minutes
Ingredients: ------------ Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 kg Ale Malt (6.3 EBC) Grain 69.57 %
2.00 kg Ale - Golden Promise (6.3 EBC) Grain 17.39 %
1.00 kg Munich 1 (16.0 EBC) Grain 8.70 %
0.50 kg Caramunich 1 (90.0 EBC) Grain 4.35 %
15.00 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
15.00 gm Columbus [14.20 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
15.00 gm Chinook [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
15.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
60.00 gm Newport [11.00 %] (120 min) (First Wort HHops 58.9 IBU
12.00 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (20 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
8.00 gm Columbus [14.20 %] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (20 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
10.00 gm Chinook [12.00 %] (20 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
8.00 gm Columbus [14.20 %] (10 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
10.00 gm Chinook [12.00 %] (10 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
12.00 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (10 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (10 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
10.00 gm Chinook [12.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
12.00 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (0 min) Hops -
15.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (0 min) Hops -
8.00 gm Columbus [14.20 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 tsp Kopperfloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs 1056 - American Ale (Wyeast) [Starter 50 mYeast-Ale
Mash Schedule: THIS IS THE MASH TO USE
Total Grain Weight: 11.50 kg ----------------------------
THIS IS THE MASH TO USE Step Time Name Description
Step Temp 90 min Step Add 30.01 L of water at 72.3 C 64.0 C

Progrees to follow...

:icon_cheers: CB

Well, "The Bays Big Barleywine" is done, pretty happy with how everything went, tasted good, efficiency wasnt were it was supposed to be but was still ok though.. Cant wait to try this one over the next few years... :icon_drool2:

CB

The Grain, single batch, 11.5kg of Grain..
IMG_0316.JPG
Clear, Golden, Sweet and Sticky 1st Runnings
IMG_0319.JPG
IMG_0321.JPG
1st Runnings gravity..
IMG_0323.JPG
Using Columbus, Centennial, Chinook, Cascade and Newport.....
IMG_0325.JPG
The Hops, coming in at 270grams...
IMG_0327.JPG
Partigyle Brew, sparged a 3rd time with 28ltrs water and got a SG of 1024....
IMG_0330.JPG
Boiling away, very Sweet and Rich..
IMG_0332.JPG
Post-boil Gravity was 1098, damn, missed my 1st 1100 Beer, maybe once it cools it may reach 1100.. :rolleyes: Was meant to get 1108, but oh well..... 1st time.. :(
IMG_0333.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0333.JPG
    IMG_0333.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 7
Beautiful color and clarity CB, you will usually sacrifice a bit of efficiency with these huge beers but the benefits are you get a nice "small" beer as well. What did you hop the small beer with?

Your going to need a serious bit of maturing on the barley Wine, should be very tasty.

Andrew

Beautiful color and clarity CB, you will usually sacrifice a bit of efficiency with these huge beers but the benefits are you get a nice "small" beer as well. What did you hop the small beer with?

Your going to need a serious bit of maturing on the barley Wine, should be very tasty.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, ive been pondering this brew for a while now, plan is to Ferment at least 2 weeks, Keg and Mature for a while, then Bottle via CPBF... I want to put it in the QABC next year and open a Bottle or 2 each year for the next 5 years... :icon_drunk: And then just do one every year from now on in...

Ive just bittered the Small beer with 15gr of POR, still got about 50 min left in the boil... It will prob come out at about FG 1034...

Any suggestions for other Hopping or just leave it at that for a light "Lawnmower" Beer????

I'd leave it as the single hop, with the weather warming up it would be great to knock a couple back.

Put down the Barley Wine last night on top of a US-05 yeastcake and 24hrs later the fermenter is saturated with CO2, so something is working.... :beerbang:

Very well aerated....
IMG_0361.JPG
Right sample is the 1098 Barleywine, left sample is the 1028 Remnant Brew.... Check the Colour difference, and the taste difference is, well... ;)
IMG_0365.JPG
All domed up, alot of CO2 in there after 24hrs...
IMG_0367.JPG

:icon_drool2: CB

I've only ever tasted one Barleywine & it was really beautiful (Thanks GMK) & have always meant to do one but still haven't had the opportunity to do so. :(
What are those capsules you put those samples in CB? Where did you get them from?
Are champagne bottles the best thing to store high alcohol beers in for long maturation? Not keen on wasting a keg for so long a period. Any other suggestions re storage?

TP

I've only ever tasted one Barleywine & it was really beautiful (Thanks GMK) & have always meant to do one but still haven't had the opportunity to do so. :(
What are those capsules you put those samples in CB? Where did you get them from?
Are champagne bottles the best thing to store high alcohol beers in for long maturation? Not keen on wasting a keg for so long a period. Any other suggestions re storage?

TP

Hey TP, Ill put a stubbie away for you mate to try.. ;) The capsule things are pippets that came with my refractometer, just put into wort, squeeze the bottom and extract a small wort sample... I think you can get them from the places that sell vials, flasks etc....

Im going to keg this for a couple months maturation, gas and then transfer to other bottles, probably Champagne for the Bottles Ill be putting away for up to 5 years and Stubbies for the rest to savour over the Winter months next year... :icon_drunk:

And Brew one TP..

My Barleywine has been in the fermenter for about 8 days now and has dropped from 1098 to 1017, which brings it in at 10.64% Alc at the moment, its tasting very good, just dry hopped so slowly getting there...

:icon_drool2: CB

Resurrecting an old thread.... Have had some Barleywine ideas in mind......

Thinking of this next brew...

Recipe: English Barleywine
Style: 19B-Strong Ale-English Barleywine

Recipe Overview

Wort Volume Before Boil: 36.00 l
Wort Volume After Boil: 22.00 l
Volume Transferred: 21.00 l
Water Added: 0.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 21.00 l
Final Batch Volume: 20.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.065 SG
Expected OG: 1.107 SG
Expected FG: 1.030 SG
Expected ABV: 10.4 %
Expected ABW: 8.0 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 94.8
Expected Color: 11.4 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 70.0 %
Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Duration: 120.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 18 degC

Fermentables
UK Maris Otter 4.500 kg (41.3 %) In Mash/Steeped
Australian BB Traditional Ale Malt 4.500 kg (41.3 %) In Mash/Steeped
German Munich Malt 1.500 kg (13.8 %) In Mash/Steeped
German CaraMunich I 0.400 kg (3.7 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
UK Target (9.0 % alpha) 30 g Loose Pellet Hops used All Of Boil
UK Admiral (10.6 % alpha) 30 g Loose Pellet Hops used All Of Boil
UK Challenger (7.9 % alpha) 30 g Loose Pellet Hops used 25 Min From End
UK Pilgrim (10.4 % alpha) 30 g Loose Pellet Hops used 10 Min From End
UK Kent Golding (4.7 % alpha) 25 g Loose Pellet Hops used 5 Min From End
UK Target (9.0 % alpha) 25 g Loose Pellet Hops used Dry-Hopped
UK Progress (5.5 % alpha) 25 g Loose Pellet Hops used Dry-Hopped

Other Ingredients
Koppafloc 2 g used In Boil

Yeast: Wyeast 1099-Whitbread Ale

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name:Single Step Infusion (66C/151F) w/Mash Out
Step: Rest at 66 degC for 60 mins
Step: Raise to and Mash out at 77 degC for 10 mins

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Resurrecting an old thread.... Have had some Barleywine ideas in mind......

Thinking of this next brew...

Recipe: English Barleywine
Style: 19B-Strong Ale-English Barleywine

Recipe Overview

Wort Volume Before Boil: 36.00 l
Wort Volume After Boil: 22.00 l
Volume Transferred: 21.00 l
Water Added: 0.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 21.00 l
Final Batch Volume: 20.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.065 SG
Expected OG: 1.107 SG
Expected FG: 1.030 SG
Expected ABV: 10.4 %
Expected ABW: 8.0 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 94.8
Expected Color: 11.4 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 70.0 %
Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Duration: 120.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 18 degC

Fermentables
UK Maris Otter 4.500 kg (41.3 %) In Mash/Steeped
Australian BB Traditional Ale Malt 4.500 kg (41.3 %) In Mash/Steeped
German Munich Malt 1.500 kg (13.8 %) In Mash/Steeped
German CaraMunich I 0.400 kg (3.7 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
UK Target (9.0 % alpha) 30 g Loose Pellet Hops used All Of Boil
UK Admiral (10.6 % alpha) 30 g Loose Pellet Hops used All Of Boil
UK Challenger (7.9 % alpha) 30 g Loose Pellet Hops used 25 Min From End
UK Pilgrim (10.4 % alpha) 30 g Loose Pellet Hops used 10 Min From End
UK Kent Golding (4.7 % alpha) 25 g Loose Pellet Hops used 5 Min From End
UK Target (9.0 % alpha) 25 g Loose Pellet Hops used Dry-Hopped
UK Progress (5.5 % alpha) 25 g Loose Pellet Hops used Dry-Hopped

Other Ingredients
Koppafloc 2 g used In Boil

Yeast: Wyeast 1099-Whitbread Ale

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name:Single Step Infusion (66C/151F) w/Mash Out
Step: Rest at 66 degC for 60 mins
Step: Raise to and Mash out at 77 degC for 10 mins

Any thoughts?

Cheers

I cant see anything wrong with this recipe Nick. :chug:

Only thing i can possibly add is to maybe mash a tad lower (64-65) and for 2 hours to try and get as much attenuation as possible.

And pitch a monster starter or a yeastcake.

I'm really enjoying my EBW even if its only 7 months young. Must try and save some :party:

Thanks Dr.S!

Will brew it sometime soon, and partigyle a second smaller batch to boot, probably with some NZ Cascade or something, or maybe a mild if I chuck in a bit of dark malt before the third sparge. Just need to get the brewing out of the way for the Xmas Swap, and clear up some fermenter space, and then it's ON!

Cheers

I know its not as elaborate as BribieG's bottles but itll do the trick, my bottles of Partigyle brew 21.25 litres of light goodness :unsure: ..... Didnt want to tie up a keg with such a pristine brew... <_<

OG was 1028, finished at 1005 and stands @ 3% Alc.

IMG_0380.JPG

Will keg the precious Barleywine Tomorrow night... :icon_drool2:

CB, I've just done an American barleywine for the QABC it started at 1.105 and finished at 1.020 for about 10.5% using US56 at 20C in about 2 weeks. I added a heap of slurry from a previous brew. I think the secret is to give it good oxygenation. I did this by frothing up the wort with a sterilised spoon. I didn't bother to rack it, ATM it is crash chilling to drop the yeast out. I have to say, for 100IBUs it is incredibly smooth. I'll be force carbing in the keg then bottling.

cheers

browndog

edit: spellin

Browndog,
Congrats on the win with the Barleywine, amazing.....

Andrew

Just kegged my Barleywine and its tasting very :icon_drool2: awesome......................... :D

FG was 1013 from 1096, so its at 10.9% Alc, its going to be so hard ageing this but ill be strong, look out for this Barleywine in next years QABC..... ;)

Browndog,
Congrats on the win with the Barleywine, amazing.....

Just kegged my Barleywine and its tasting very :icon_drool2: awesome......................... :D

FG was 1013 from 1096, so its at 10.9% Alc, its going to be so hard ageing this but ill be strong, look out for this Barleywine in next years QABC..... ;)

Thanks CB, I never expected a score that high, now it's off to the AABC to do QLD proud (hopefully) When you bottle yours, you could do as I did and for every 3 750ml bottles, do a 330ml as well, that way you can do intermittant tasting with the smaller bottles. Either way make sure you bring a bottle to the Xmas swap if you are coming and I'll do the same.

cheers

Browndog

Back