Brewing A Barleywine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clean brewer

Obsessed Home Brewer
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just worked a recipe for a Barley Wine, batch size will be 22ltrs at OG of 1.108.. I think my best bet is to pitch onto a US-05 yeast cake to get sufficient yeast for the Gravity without making a big arse starter???

Couple questions:

1. Should I ferment for say 2 weeks, then rack to secondary fermenter for another 2 weeks to ensure fermentation completes??
2. I would like to bottle it straight up, should I prime with a small measure of sugar? I would like to age it a little... Or could I get some bombs? I have read to bottle from keg mostly...

I think thats it for now....

:icon_cheers: CB

Brewed an barleywine in December.

Was pitched on to a fresh US05 yeastcake.

From memory, was a 2 weeks primary ferment, rack, 2-3 weeks in secondary and then bottle primed (can't recall the quantity).

Bottles are carbed up.

If i was to do it again i would age it in a keg for as long as possible and then force carb and bottle.

With a beer that big, you may have trouble bottle conditioning it, as the beer may go over the yeast's alcohol tolerance.

Fermentis don't give an alcohol tolerance for US-05, but if it is the same strain as wyeast 1056, the stated tolerance is 10%. A beer starting at 1.108 is likely to be 11% or higher.

I think this is why people suggest bottling from the keg...

With a beer that big, you may have trouble bottle conditioning it, as the beer may go over the yeast's alcohol tolerance.

Fermentis don't give an alcohol tolerance for US-05, but if it is the same strain as wyeast 1056, the stated tolerance is 10%. A beer starting at 1.108 is likely to be 11% or higher.

I think this is why people suggest bottling from the keg...

Well maybe the CPBF is on the cards with my Birthday Money, would come in handy anyhow.. ;) I dont really want to f--- the beer up by doing something silly, it is suggested to ferment in primary and then rack to 2ndary for up to a month and then keg!!

Could I ferment in Primary, then just rack to the keg and leave to condition a while in there before bottling??

Cheers

CB, I've just done an American barleywine for the QABC it started at 1.105 and finished at 1.020 for about 10.5% using US56 at 20C in about 2 weeks. I added a heap of slurry from a previous brew. I think the secret is to give it good oxygenation. I did this by frothing up the wort with a sterilised spoon. I didn't bother to rack it, ATM it is crash chilling to drop the yeast out. I have to say, for 100IBUs it is incredibly smooth. I'll be force carbing in the keg then bottling.

cheers

browndog

edit: spellin

Brewed an barleywine in December.

Was pitched on to a fresh US05 yeastcake.

From memory, was a 2 weeks primary ferment, rack, 2-3 weeks in secondary and then bottle primed (can't recall the quantity).

Bottles are carbed up.

If i was to do it again i would age it in a keg for as long as possible and then force carb and bottle.

Hey Dr,

Do you know what the OG and FG was on the BW??

I was reading that I could just pitch 1 pack of Wyeast into 2-4ltr of 1040 Wort for my Starter, I think I might just use this Wyeast 9093 Imperial Blend as it will handle 12-14% and achieve 75-80% attenuation...

May as well do it right for a Special Beer.... :icon_drool2:

From memory, OG 1.088, FG ~1.017/8.

Only aeration was the drop from the end of the plate chiller to the bottom of the fermenter onto the US05 yeastcake.

First 3 days of primary i couldn't keep the airlock full, it kept spraying the contents all over the wall.

I was a bit dubious at the end FG but checked it thrice.

No fresh yeast added, bulk primed and its been in the spare room/cellar since early January. Carbed up nicely.

I think it's best to use the slurry from an earlier batch. I did an American Barleywine with a slurry of US-05 very similar to what you are planning. Got it down from 1106 to 1022, so 79% attenuation and around 11% alcohol. It was just over 2 weeks in primary, then about 6 weeks in secondary. Bottle conditioned and carbed up just fine if slightly more slowly than normal. I'm not sure if I did on this beer, but I usually add some extra fresh yeast when bottling, a bit of slurry of something neutral.

Make sure you keep the temperature down to start with. Huge amounts of yeast (which you need for this gravity beer) and the high gravity mean that the yeast is likely to ferment hard and raise the temperature so starting it a bit below what you want to ferment at is a good idea.

What's the recipe you are planning on using?

CB, I've just done an American barleywine for the QABC it started at 1.105 and finished at 1.020 for about 10.5% using US56 at 20C in about 2 weeks. I added a heap of slurry from a previous brew. I think the secret is to give it good oxygenation. I did this by frothing up the wort with a sterilised spoon. I didn't bother to rack it, ATM it is crash chilling to drop the yeast out. I have to say, for 100IBUs it is incredibly smooth. I'll be force carbing in the keg then bottling.

cheers

browndog

edit: spellin

THanks BD,

How much Slurry do you think you used?? Decisions, decisions.. :unsure: Maybe ill go the safe route and get a Liquid Yeast... Ive read that it needs to be oxygenated for 3-4 minutes and a starter should be used....

I think it's best to use the slurry from an earlier batch. I did an American Barleywine with a slurry of US-05 very similar to what you are planning. Got it down from 1106 to 1022, so 79% attenuation and around 11% alcohol. It was just over 2 weeks in primary, then about 6 weeks in secondary. Bottle conditioned and carbed up just fine if slightly more slowly than normal. I'm not sure if I did on this beer, but I usually add some extra fresh yeast when bottling, a bit of slurry of something neutral.

Make sure you keep the temperature down to start with. Huge amounts of yeast (which you need for this gravity beer) and the high gravity mean that the yeast is likely to ferment hard and raise the temperature so starting it a bit below what you want to ferment at is a good idea.

What's the recipe you are planning on using?

So far,

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com Recipe:
The Bays Big Barleywine
Brewer: Jody Fischer
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Barleywine
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)
Recipe Specifications --------------------------
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 27.95 L
Estimated OG: 1.108 SG
Estimated Color: 25.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 69.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes
Ingredients: ------------ Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.50 kg Ale - Golden Promise (6.3 EBC) Grain 50.00 %
5.50 kg Munich 1 (16.0 EBC) Grain 50.00 %
50.00 gm Galena [12.70 %] (90 min) (First Wort HopHops 57.0 IBU
12.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (20 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
20.00 gm Willamette [4.60 %] (20 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
30.00 gm Tettnanger [3.00 %] (20 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
30.00 gm Tettnanger [3.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
20.00 gm Willamette [4.60 %] (0 min) Hops -
12.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.96 tsp Kopperfloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
Mash Schedule: THIS IS THE MASH TO USE
Total Grain Weight: 11.00 kg ----------------------------
THIS IS THE MASH TO USE Step Time Name Description Step Temp 90 min Step Add 28.71 L of water at 70.1 C 64.0 C

Wanted to do my own....

Wanted to do my own....

The best way. :super:

I think it looks interesting. Do you want comments on it? If you do, what are you aiming for with this barleywine? What exactly do you want it to taste and smell of?

I think it looks interesting. Do you want comments on it?
Yes..
If you do, what are you aiming for with this barleywine?
Something to age a little and American in Style?
What exactly do you want it to taste and smell of?
Not really too sure, 1st time around doing this, open too suggestions!! Havnt even tried one before...

be very careful if using a lot of yeast that it doesnt get out of hand and end up with a lot of acetaldehyde

Ok, well just a few thoughts. I think that bumping up the IBUs a bit would be a good idea. It's going to age and the bitterness will drop off with time. If you are going to go for a US barleywine, I'd go more like 100IBUs. I think that more assertive hops would be good. Maybe replace the Tettnanger with a different really intense, citrus-focussed hop - one of the C hops, Amarillo or Simcoe.

I think the grain bill is interesting. No idea if it'll work but certainly worth a shot and shouldn't end up too thick and sticky.

Ok, well just a few thoughts. I think that bumping up the IBUs a bit would be a good idea. It's going to age and the bitterness will drop off with time. If you are going to go for a US barleywine, I'd go more like 100IBUs. I think that more assertive hops would be good. Maybe replace the Tettnanger with a different really intense, citrus-focussed hop - one of the C hops, Amarillo or Simcoe.

I think the grain bill is interesting. No idea if it'll work but certainly worth a shot and shouldn't end up too thick and sticky.

Cool,

I thought the IBU'S could have been a little low, Browndog has mentioned his at 100IBU and is nice and smooth..
Cool on the hops also, thats not a big one to change, just have alot of Tettnanger here at home...

On the Grain Bill, should I just run with 1 Grain?? That has been the suggestion in some readings today, it suggests a longer boil to intensify the flavour and not really to use any spec malts as it wont make much of a difference!! :unsure:

Ah, I see that I haven't started a style of the week thread on American Barleywines. ZOMG! I'll start one in the morning and hopefully some people can post up their BW recipes so you can get some different ideas. There are different ways to run this and I think many can make very tasty beers. It really depends on what you want. A thicker, sweeter beer you can sip, or a 11% beer that's more of an easy drinker. B)

Ah, I see that I haven't started a style of the week thread on American Barleywines. ZOMG! I'll start one in the morning and hopefully some people can post up their BW recipes so you can get some different ideas. There are different ways to run this and I think many can make very tasty beers. It really depends on what you want. A thicker, sweeter beer you can sip, or a 11% beer that's more of an easy drinker. B)

That'd be a good idea, its hard to get much info about BW'S, ive been reading a bit more and have seen alot about using some high AA hops and citrusy also, ROGUE uses Chinook and Centennial in theirs and 110IBU, Sierra Nevada is using Chinook for Bittering and Centennial and Cascade for finishing and all 3 for dry hopping, and 90 IBU...

I think I want something that I can have a nice glass of to finish the night... :icon_drunk: Not so much a quaffer...

Make it to 100 IBU's

Will most likely need a 2hour boil.
I use some marris otter, munich, caramunich and dark wheat in mine.
Also use some golden syrup.

I use 1728 scotish Ale yeast - don't want to give too many secrets away as it was Best AG at SABSOSa in 2007 and runner up in 2008.
:)

Awesome timing, I am currently formulating a BW recipe for the weekend so I can get a little age on for the NSW Easter special case swap.

Make it to 100 IBU's

Will most likely need a 2hour boil.
I use some marris otter, munich, caramunich and dark wheat in mine.
Also use some golden syrup.

I use 1728 scotish Ale yeast - don't want to give too many secrets away as it was Best AG at SABSOSa in 2007 and runner up in 2008.
:)

Thanks GMK,
Planned on a 2 hour boil from some research, I can only tinker with the recipe before I place an order from CB'S and "JUST BREW IT" :beerbang: Recipes are only created by actually brewing it hey, Im planning on putting this in next years QABC...

Latest posts

Back