Brewed As A Porter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingerlickin_B

Mo Bitta, Mo Betta!
Reaction score
Ok, I see heaps of posts with people brewing Porters all the way from kits to AG.

I even see Porter kits on the shelf at Coles.

From what I have been lead to believe (and drink), a Porter is a hand/tap poured combination of at least two types of completed beer....how can you then conceivably brew a "real" Porter?

I understand that you can use different yeasts/grains/whatever to result in an unusual beer, but my question is: Have I been led astray by years of drinking and bartender mates or is the word Porter very open to interpretation?

PZ.

p.s. not trying to start any shitfightsgenuine question

The Porter style is very hard to define, but i've never heard of the two types of beer thing. Sounds like a black and tan to me.

Porter is an old style beer, the precursor to Stout which was originally "Stout Porter". I suggest you do some more reading.

Many of us here brew porters, it's one of my favourite brews.

Ok, thanks for the info.

I still stand by the fact that I have been served a "Porter" consisting of a Stout and a light Ale.

Will do more reading...I wouldn't mind it if I could read it here too :)

PZ.

Fingerlickin_B said:
Ok, thanks for the info.

I still stand by the fact that I have been served a "Porter" consisting of a Stout and a light Ale.

Will do more reading...I wouldn't mind it if I could read it here too :)

PZ.
[post="73067"][/post]​

Whoever served you that black and tan got it wrong. jgriffin is correct. The "Porter" stlye disappeared for some years (decades? centuries??), although its beginnings in the 18th century was a bit cloudy. Read what the beer hunter has to say about the style here:
http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000041.html

Definately one of my favourite styles to brew and drink.

Thnks PostModern, I'm always willing to learn and learned I have :)

Most accounts of British brewing in the 1700s say that Porter was a ready-made blend of three different styles previously available, sometimes known as "ale," "beer" and "twopenny." Because it was a combination of all three, it was also known as "Entire".

^^This nasty little quote would no doubt f*ck things up for some dim-witted people...like my mate Darren (currently a bartender).......and of course myself...doh! :chug:

PZ.

Porter is a style that is hard to define with its specs often overlapping with its younger cousin, stout.
I 'seperate' porter in my recipe database by not using any flaked barley, flaked oats or Roast Barley in the grist.
My robust porter recipes will have ale malt, crystal malt, chocolate malt and black malt where as my stout recipes use Roast Barley, flaked oats and ale malt.

I hope this helps,

tdh

UMMM PORTER

yes every one here has answered your question correctly.
as i have found recently that some people think that if you mix a stout with an ale 50/50 its called a porter (WRONG) now the reason for this is because the general thought of some people is well it wasn't a stout mixed with a dash of lemonade like a (portergaff) so we'll just call it a porter

this is the names
(BLACK AND TAN) USUALY A (STOUT MIXED WITH A BITTER)
NOT A LAGER. 50/50 stout in first

LARGERTOP (BITTER MIXED WITH A LARGER) 70/30 bitter first

PORTERGAFF (A DASH OF LEMONADE TOPPED WITH A STOUT) BUT NOT (GUINESS) as this is a criminal offence . :lol:

SNAKEBITE (BITTER MIXED WITH APPLE CIDER NAD A DASH OF RASPBERRY)
50/50 DASH OF RASPBERRY .SOUNDS SHIT BUT AS THE NAME SUGGEST .
YOU DRINK TWO OR FOUR OF THESE ON A COLD NIGHT IN SIDE GET UP AND WALK OUT SIDE IN THE COLD YOU WILL BE VERY PISSED.

ALL THESE ARE USUALLY IMPERIAL PINTS TO NOT A SCHOONER OR AUSSIE PINT.

TANKED :chug:

:blink: LARGERTOP (BITTER MIXED WITH A LARGER) 70/30 bitter first
not where i come from its the best part of a pint of lager with a top of lemonade !!!

slightly off topic,
snakebites used to be a popular drink with the punks
maybe because of the cider and because punks don't really seem to like everyday beers
one pub we drank at, the barmaid would bever know the price of a pint sized snakebite so as it wasn't as popular as straight beer, she was charging about the same as a schooner of beer. We were very drunk very often until they changed the prices :)
on a good night, i'd go through a bottle of rasberry cordial myself
used to be like speedy gonzales :blink:

How many straight beers do you need to drink before you start drinking these mixes?

I thought our old meseaurements (pints) are the same as the imperial (English) ones, as opposed to the US ones that took the tax out.

568ml = one imperial pint
473ml = one US pint

steve the pom said:
:blink: LARGERTOP (BITTER MIXED WITH A LARGER) 70/30 bitter first
not where i come from its the best part of a pint of lager with a top of lemonade !!!
[post="86423"][/post]​
Quite right. Beer for people who really don't like beer, but can't afford a more expensive drink.

tangent said:
slightly off topic,
snakebites used to be a popular drink with the punks
maybe because of the cider and because punks don't really seem to like everyday beers
one pub we drank at, the barmaid would bever know the price of a pint sized snakebite so as it wasn't as popular as straight beer, she was charging about the same as a schooner of beer. We were very drunk very often until they changed the prices :)
on a good night, i'd go through a bottle of rasberry cordial myself
used to be like speedy gonzales :blink:
[post="86426"][/post]​

snakebites, now your talking. Drank these like water when I was at college.. ah the memories..

Apparently your not allowed to sell these anymore, except with 2 different types of beer.. something to do with the state the drinkers where in...???

Snakebites seemed popular with the younger crowd in Dublin. In the Czech Rep they often have a "Black and Tan" or "Black and Ten" as was on one menu which is 50/50 light (as in colour) lager and dark lager (brown).

Edit: better answer the orginal post :beer: , yes you have been lead astray on Porter.

Back