Brewdog Sink The Bismarck Ipa $199.99 Per Bottle Wtf

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Surely this is a typo and should be per carton. Dans have Brewdog Sink The Bismarck for $199.99 per 330 ml BOTTLE. WTF

Liquid gold wouldn't cost that much.

Sink The Bismarck IPA

They also have a "Tactical Nuclear Penguin" for $169.99 per bottle.

How could you justify paying that much for a long neck of beer? has anyone actually brought/tried this??

Tactical Nuclear Penguin

no mate its not a typo, i think there might be a few people around here that have had one or the other at some stage.

No Typo - after tax and the rest of it that's what they charge.

I know people that have managed to buy it online from their web site and get TNP here for $70 a bottle (it's 35 I think) you probably only need one between 3 or 4, if you just want a splash.

41% abv
Now thats a beer,

At $200 I don't think I will ever get to try it

QldKev

That is extremely cheap for those beers.

I stock both of them, and I cant even buy them that cheap.

I hate you Dan Murphys.....

That is extremely cheap for those beers.

I stock both of them, and I cant even buy them that cheap.

I hate you Dan Murphys.....
Last i was in at yours there was a private function out the back with a $1500 bar tab (unfortunately we weren't inlcueded). Good thing it was limited to tap beers and a few selected bottles as we were suggesting to all and sundry that a Tactical Nuclear Penguin would be a good idea :beerbang:

This probably sounds dumb but sink the bismarck and tactical nuclear penguin surely have to be considered a spirit because wouldn't there need to be some type of distilling involved in the production of these?

If not maybe some one could explain how freezing the beer increases the alcohol content as stated on the website?

Alcohol freezes at a lower temperature than water. They freeze it and remove the more concentrated beer, leaving mostly water behind.

I think they did that several times, getting higher in alc each time.

Wikipedia's link is more technical than myself.

Surely this is a typo and should be per carton. Dans have Brewdog Sink The Bismarck for $199.99 per 330 ml BOTTLE. WTF

Must be trying to recoup the cost of flying O'Henry (member here) 1st class all the way to Scotland to work for them. :lol:

Can it be done with any beer?

The theory is simple. In practice it is harder. Its really hard to make super high alc beers taste good. Balance gets harder to achieve the higher one parameter (in this case alc) goes. Just like adding too much hops can ruin a beer, or too much spec malt, or too much cane sugar, or too much.... you get the picture.

I suggest starting out with a proper eisbock first. Cant imagine doing this to a wheat beer. ergh.

I've done fractional freezing before
tried it with a lager i made just for shits and giggles, didn't taste too nice afterwards
also tried it with a Kilju i made (fermented sugar water, with some lemons in it) which fermented up to 13%, then i fractional froze out to around 24%
needless to say, it tasted terrible

I've done fractional freezing before
tried it with a lager i made just for shits and giggles, didn't taste too nice afterwards
also tried it with a Kilju i made (fermented sugar water, with some lemons in it) which fermented up to 13%, then i fractional froze out to around 24%
needless to say, it tasted terrible

I suppose that what you have to remember is that when you double the alcohol you would probably be doubling the strength of both the hops and malt wouldn't you? so maybe with the brew to start with should be lightly hopped and less speciality malts?

So far I've done it with a Maibock and a FES, will no doubt I'll try it with other beers
I read that if you ferment in the wrong conditions it can be bad when doing this because it concentrates the fusel alcohols which can be dangerous at high levels....
Could this be a risky practice for a homebrewer?

I read that if you ferment in the wrong conditions it can be bad when doing this because it concentrates the fusel alcohols which can be dangerous at high levels....
Could this be a risky practice for a homebrewer?

I dont know about that..... but drinking it certainly could be.. :icon_cheers:

Back