Brewcraft Kilkenny Style Kit Help Needed!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently put in my frementer a brewcraft kilkenny kit. This includes: Muntons YORKSHIRE BITTER + Brew Blend No. 20 - MALT PLUS BOOSTER + Muntons Gold Yeast + 5g Fuggles Hop Pellets and 10g Goldings Hop Pellets. I also added 200g of Lactose to make it a little more creamier and the volume I made it up to was 20L. THis is the first time I have used lactose.

Stupidily I forgot to take an initial SG reading.

After 8 days in the fermenter at approx 18-20 degrees I have racked into a secondary fermenter. I took a SG reading and it was 1025 (approx).

Q1) With the ingredients that I have used, what final SG should I be looking at? (I dont know how the use of the Lactose will effect the final SG).

I am also planning to bulk prime the brew. The brew store I was at recommended using approx 170g of light malt to do the job. However I am not sure.

Q2) What amount of light malt should I use to bulk prime this brew? Being a kilkenny style, I do not want it to be over primed as that is not the intended style.

Thank you for your help.

1) my understanding is that lactose will add the same amount as dry malt, but of course it doesn't ferment so it adds to BOTH the SG and FG. I work on a rule of thumb of 20 points to the Kg for DME, so that brings your 200g to 4 points.

2) Not stupidly, it takes a few brews before a brewer sees the need to measure the OG, some never bother.

3) don't get overly worried about 'predicting' the FG. the time to bottle is when the FG stops changing, by getting the same reading at least 2 days apart.

4)I did a Yorkshire Bitter 2 months ago, with liquid malt, it came out at 1012 after 2 weeks in primary, with the added lactose I wouldn't expect this to finish above 1020, maybe it might get down to 1017ish but that's just a guess.

5)the Muntons instructions suggest half a teaspoon per pint, which is 5g/600ml, therefore 166.66g in 20 litres. I'd stick to that,
in my experinece the Muntons kits seem easy to overprime, I've done it twice this year.

I recently put in my frementer a brewcraft kilkenny kit. This includes: Muntons YORKSHIRE BITTER + Brew Blend No. 20 - MALT PLUS BOOSTER + Muntons Gold Yeast + 5g Fuggles Hop Pellets and 10g Goldings Hop Pellets. I also added 200g of Lactose to make it a little more creamier and the volume I made it up to was 20L. THis is the first time I have used lactose.

Please let us know how it goes. I'd really like to make a Kilkenny style beer.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply RobboMC. I was just concerned about the FG after the high reading I had after racking it. I didnt know the effect the lactose would have on the brew and the readings (not fermenting etc). Ill probably lessen the priming amount a little more than that because I lost a bit during racking the brew (first time trying it), but ill base it upon your recommendation.

Parks - I tasted the wort when i took a reading & it wasnt too bad :D

I've made this Kilkenny copy a couple of times.

Once up to 18L - FG was 1018,
Once up to 21L - FG was 1016.

Both times it turned out great. I got a good sized head (maybe too big the first time) by bulk priming with 150g of Sugar. Maybe cut back a little if you want to keep true to style.

I now use 140g to bulk prime most beers....

PB :icon_cheers:

BTW Lactose will add sweetness, but not necessarily "creaminess." I reckon it's probably unnecessary for a kit beer.

Back