Brewbrite, Who Uses It And How Do U Use It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resurrecting this...

I do concentrated boils (16 L) then dilute to 20 - 25 L.

I know the performance of this type of fining is sensitive to concentration (i.e. g of BrewBrite per L). So for the goal of coagulating proteins etc. (the carageenan part) I figure I should be using the correct amount for 16 L. For the removal of polyphenols (haze prevention - PVPP part) I figure I should use the correct amount for the fermentor volume, as I assume this process happens in the fermentor not during chilling.

So should I be adding the correct amount for the 16 L boil or the fermentor volume? Any other concentrated brewers use this stuff?

Quantity for 16 L in the kettle at/before FO.

It's not designed to go in the fermenter, use PVPP as you cold crash if you still have chill haze problems.

Thanks, treefiddy. But if it's not designed to work in the FV why would they bother putting PVPP in it? If I was going to add plain PVPP to the FV I'd just use Whirlfloc/Irish moss in the kettle. I thought this was supposed to be like a 2-in-1 sort of thing.

I think I'll just use the correct amount for 16 L, as you said, and hope it helps the haze. If it doesn't, schmeh, it's not like I can taste the haze anyway :)

It's a mixture of PVPP and Irish Moss. PVPP is commonly used in the FV but I've not heard anyone adding irish moss.
PVPP works at any stage, just sometimes its more effective.

In the kettle there is plenty of break material for both clarifying agents to stick to and drop out.
Post ferment the irish moss doesn't have break material to stick to, so it might help to drop out yeast or other proteins, or it may just float around and give you a nice seaweed taste.
Who knows? No ones stopping you, but unless you have clarity issues theres really no need to find out.

I do have a chill haze issue but it's not causing any harm (other than my brewing pride). I guess I'll be happy with the kettle fining side of things.

verysupple said:
I do have a chill haze issue but it's not causing any harm (other than my brewing pride). I guess I'll be happy with the kettle fining side of things.
I used "Whirfloc" in the kettle along with "Isinglass" in my last 2 lagers added it at -2deg left it for 7 days then kegged and served at 2deg crystal clear :). That will fix your chill haze.

Latest posts

Back