Brew Suggestions?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the look of Tonys Recipe, sometimes the simple beers turn out pretty good.

As for yeast, if you want it to be like a coopers, why don't you just grow the yeast out of a coopers stubbie and use that? See http://www.grumpys.com.au/m1.php3?manualid=9

As of the name... Sullivan... Reminds me of a charater from the book called The Potato Factory. Ikey Solomon, the prince of fences. A guy who trained street kids to become master pick pockets, while he ran brothells and forged bank notes. Kinda like a supervisor I suppose! Anyway, he eventually became a convict and sent to Tasmania where he eventaully worked at a brewery.

They made a beer called a temperance ale, where people signed a pledge to stop drinking hard spirits in favour to their temperance ale.

So to the point... how about "Sullivans Temperance" or "Sullivans Pledge"

It's for International Studies; majoring in International Relations

I don't think I'll bore you all with the content of my thesis.

Keep the ideas comin!

Haunt the man with some IR theory. I'm sure he's done the same to you.
Entry level stuff but what about something like "Sully's Realist Ale"?
C'mon dude. What IR academics make you think of beer?

Keep the ideas comin!

If you want to keep to the international relations theme, you could brew a delicious German Amber Lager...
How about Mike's Maerzen? The style guidelines are here...

If a mild yet malty german lager isn't interesting ( :blink: ) then how about a supercharged lager called...
The Dribbling Diplomat Dopplebock?! :p

Cheers,
TL

I like the look of Tonys Recipe, sometimes the simple beers turn out pretty good.

As for yeast, if you want it to be like a coopers, why don't you just grow the yeast out of a coopers stubbie and use that? See http://www.grumpys.com.au/m1.php3?manualid=9

As of the name... Sullivan... Reminds me of a charater from the book called The Potato Factory. Ikey Solomon, the prince of fences. A guy who trained street kids to become master pick pockets, while he ran brothells and forged bank notes. Kinda like a supervisor I suppose! Anyway, he eventually became a convict and sent to Tasmania where he eventaully worked at a brewery.

They made a beer called a temperance ale, where people signed a pledge to stop drinking hard spirits in favour to their temperance ale.

So to the point... how about "Sullivans Temperance" or "Sullivans Pledge"

Sounds interesting! It's got a good story behind it, I like that.

Keep the ideas comin!

Haunt the man with some IR theory. I'm sure he's done the same to you.
Entry level stuff but what about something like "Sully's Realist Ale"?
C'mon dude. What IR academics make you think of beer?

:lol: IR theory. We are in different camps ideologically (He's a neorealist while I am a sort-of liberal internationalist), Sully's realist ale sounds like a good name!

Keep the ideas comin!

If you want to keep to the international relations theme, you could brew a delicious German Amber Lager...

If a mild yet malty german lager isn't interesting ( :blink: ) then how about a supercharged lager called...

Cheers,
TL

I read the guide to it, and it sounds like a great beer type- any recipes kicking around for a beer of this type? I looked in the recipe section and there weren't any there.

Its a good simple beer that is great to drink.

If you want a bit of complexity add 2 or 3% JW caramalt.

POR is a good hop IMO. It can be a bit ordimary if its old and stale.

Thats why i use the flowers and not the pellets. nuch beter results.

comments form national comp judges were to the "easy drinking... all day long, great beer" kind of thing.

some times the simple things in life are offten the best.... do you like that syaing i thought it up :)

OK here is my opinion on coopers yeast.

I have it on good grounds that the yeast in the bottle is not the yeast that coopers ues in their beer.

Its filtered and then botle coditioned with that stuff. I used it a few times and it is OK to brew with but there is better out there.

I found it left the beer a bit dusty and fruity. like bananna's.

If you want a yeast with some character, but a clean finish, try 1275. Its great.

cheers

Its a good simple beer that is great to drink.

If you want a bit of complexity add 2 or 3% JW caramalt.

POR is a good hop IMO. It can be a bit ordimary if its old and stale.

Thats why i use the flowers and not the pellets. nuch beter results.

comments form national comp judges were to the "easy drinking... all day long, great beer" kind of thing.

some times the simple things in life are offten the best.... do you like that syaing i thought it up :)

OK here is my opinion on coopers yeast.

I have it on good grounds that the yeast in the bottle is not the yeast that coopers ues in their beer.

Its filtered and then botle coditioned with that stuff. I used it a few times and it is OK to brew with but there is better out there.

I found it left the beer a bit dusty and fruity. like bananna's.

If you want a yeast with some character, but a clean finish, try 1275. Its great.

cheers

I haven't used flowers before, so I really can't comment on that- suppose this is good a time as any to give it a go! That's what I love about brewing... the experiments...

I've heard that about Coopers as well, which is why I haven't cultured yeast from a bottle yet. I'll have a look on the wyeast site for info about the 1275; it's good to try new yeasts every now and then!

Cheers,
TL

I read the guide to it, and it sounds like a great beer type- any recipes kicking around for a beer of this type? I looked in the recipe section and there weren't any there.

Ray Daniels wrote an interesting intro article on Bocks: here... and there's a handy bock article on the BYO site with some recipes, here... I've done the AG Annihilator Dopplebock and its a nice beer when someone else is driving!! :super:

The key, IMHO, is using quality Munich malt as the base malt, which has sufficient diastatic power to convert itself without any problems. I recommend Weyermann or Hoepfner Munich malt if you can get some - Colin in Kambah may have a bit laying around...
Cheers,
TL

Back