Brew Plumbing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiesu

Reaction score
Howdy brewers :) I'm finally building my AG equipment and I have a question about the placement of
My tap on my converted keg mash tun.

I m concerned that all my plumbing is too high in the keg and therefore it will not drain effectively.
What do you think?

Pictures
o IMAG0111.jpg

Will a mashup undergo a siphon effect and draw the liquid up through the tap?
IMAG0113.jpg

I apologize for multi post I am on my phone and have no Way of shrinking the images to fi
t on one post.

phoIMAG0114.jpg

The siphon will start fine and will run until their is air being drawn into the system.
So, if you have a hose on your tap lower than the bottom of your tun then it will continue to siphon until the liquid level drops to the braid level.
Nige

Well that is good news. I was concerned that a siphon would not work in a grain bed with a braid. But thinking about it their is no reason why it wouldn't. Thanks.

Mine is like that - as long as the bulkhead and tubing is airtight, it'll drain to the braid level. Just squeeze the tube a couple of times just past the barb when drawing off, so the air bubbles are removed.

I had the same setup for my first AG,I found that it used to lift up in the mash poor eff.Then I bought a false bottom still use it 80% eff every time.

If you could hold it down it would be the go stiring made it a pain.
sav

From what I have seen over the years here, braid is not much chop in the mash tun and only marginally better in the kettle. If you want the ducks guts, get some 1/2" copper tube and a Tee piece. Form the tube into a circle and fit it into opposite ends of the tee. Use a hack saw to cut slots every 1/4" around the bottom side of the copper ring. use a short length of tube to connect the tee to a compression fitting in the kettle and hey presto, one very excellent manifold. With your braid you are going to have very slow run offs and increase the chance of a stuck sparge greatly.

cheers

Browndog

O noes! don't tell me all this horible news.
From what I have read from John Palmer and heard from other brewers. Braid is as Good as a False bottom (except for fLy sparging) I guess we will see when it gets its inagural use. Im hoping for 80%+ efficency.

From what I have seen over the years here, braid is not much chop in the mash tun and only marginally better in the kettle.

Not to say the copper slot system sucks, but my experience is contrary to this. I have built a few braided mash tuns pretty similar to the OP's picture, and they have been almost impossible to get a stuck sparge with - whether wide open gravity feed or sucking on it with a 300W pump. I will agree braid is not awesome for filtering out trub in the kettle - the break/hops tend to clag up all the holes pretty quickly.

Templar - give it a shot, I think you'll find you'll have no problems.

i did my first AG last weekend but on reading this about braid etc in boilers i realise i didnt use a filter in my boiler,i just did a whirpool left it for 5 mins and drained straight into my cube, now while i was boiling my wort i did skim off 2 lots of scum etc,after i run my wort into the cube i had about 1 to 2 liters of trub left in my boiler.is this a problem or should i have a filter of some sort in my boiler instead of just a ball lock.
fergi

i did my first AG last weekend but on reading this about braid etc in boilers i realise i didnt use a filter in my boiler,i just did a whirpool left it for 5 mins and drained straight into my cube, now while i was boiling my wort i did skim off 2 lots of scum etc,after i run my wort into the cube i had about 1 to 2 liters of trub left in my boiler.is this a problem or should i have a filter of some sort in my boiler instead of just a ball lock.
fergi

Fergi, if you have a hop sock, you can put that in your fermenter and drain the kettle into it. Then remove the sock and hey presto, no crap in your fermenter.

cheers

Browndog

O noes! don't tell me all this horible news.
From what I have read from John Palmer and heard from other brewers. Braid is as Good as a False bottom (except for fLy sparging) I guess we will see when it gets its inagural use. Im hoping for 80%+ efficency.

As Dent say's give it a go, as with him, I'm just speaking from my own personal experience. It may well work brilliantly for you.

cheers

Browndog

If you dont get the results you want from your braided hose. buy one of these it was the best $50 I have spent on my (cough) brewery.

false bottom link.

Latest posts

Back