Brew Day In Agnes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henno

Beermologist
Reaction score
So I have built this new herms system but don't really know how to use it so I'm standing there with strike water ready and grain crushed but feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all so I am looking like this: pondering.jpg

Then, out of nowhere this guy turns up and apparently he has a herms unit and doesn't mind showing me a few things. Talk about a stroke of luck!
screwy.jpg

Recipe was a single batch of Zwickels pilsener which if you don't know has lots of temp steps in it so a perfect test for the herms. Luckily what I have built turns out to be really similar to Screwy's system so it is piece of piss for him to lead me through it.

The ramp up times took bugger all. My guru was impressed. About 5 minutes to be churning out the temp we needed, apparently that is good. Probably because I jammed as much copper pipe into it. I estimate it is at least 7m in a 10L pot. Only minor flaw is we overshot the steps by about 2C which should be easy enough to allow for. The temp control unit is only a fridgemate set to heat mode at the moment. I already have the TempMate wired and ready but the probe needs tweaking a bit before I change over to that.

Efficiency into kettle on the maiden voyage was 88%. Apparently that is good too. :huh:

The control from the herms is remarkable and now thanks to Mike I feel I know a bit more about what is happening in my brewery. You da man Screwtop, thanks heaps for the day.

Screw is Da Man there's no doubt about it. That cape of his must get a fair work out though?

Great stuff Henno you sly dog, didn't even know that you were heading towards a HERMS. System looks sweet BTW. Tell us how you've set up your herm and what ya used?

Maybe we need to change Screwies nick to "SUPER SCREWY"! :unsure: :lol:

Cheers

Chappo :beer:

Forgot to take photos of dinner. It was my wife's famous okonomiyaki with prawns,squid and scallops, capped with hokkien noodles and egg. Desert was my wife's famous tiramisu, not very Japanese but gawd it was good. The four of us demolished the lot.

Beer was flowing readily now and Screwy's red is divine to say the least. His Roggensomething can only be drunk to be believed. Around 9% it get's one attention at the end of the night. It does have the unique side effect though that whenever somebody takes your photo you can't keep your eyes open for some reason
earl.jpg
This is my story. My name is Earl.

Ahh! Ok missed that thread. I take it back your not a sly dog, you're a prick for not inviting me! No wonder Screwy was there with all that delicious tucker and seafood on offer.

That photo is a cracker. You sure it wasn't the Jap food making your eyes squinty? :ph34r:

Cheers

Chap Chap

Just had a laughing fit at that pic of Screwy.... Typical Michael! :)

Cheers

that looks beautiful Henno. You couldnt get any better assistance than the one of Sir Screwtop.

Cheers/Prost :beer:

Henno,
Long time no hear, and considering last time we were at your house that might not be a bad thing..........................
Good to hear that the new rig is a goa, and I here that you showed up the master chef to go straight through to the final of "Who's Rat Arsed Tonight", nice work.
I got the low down quickly yesterday and I am still disappointed that Screwy didn't have the guts to try the Aquashot 2000, it's just not cricket. :D
Mate, hoping to catch up with you soon. Unfortunately it won't be for Oktoberfest this year as I'm off to Melbourne to cause caos (and will probably take a dump in his mashtun) at Bulp's.

Jay

Latest posts

Back