Bravo Apa - Of Sorts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almopec

Reaction score
I recently picked up a pound of Bravo hops from hops direct and am now looking to trial them in an APA (or IPA perhaps). Has anybody had much to do with them to date?
Everything I read about them says that they are pleasant and dual purpose or something along those lines.

So after fiddling with the K&K spreadsheet, my plan for a 23L batch of APA type beer is:
2.0kg LME
0.5kg DME (for hop boiling)
0.5kg dextrose
0.3kg maltodextrin
15g Bravo @ 60m
15g Bravo @ 20m
25g Bravo @ 5m
25g Bravo dryhopped in secondary
WLP090 or WLP001.
OG 1.049
FG 1.015
IBU 45.2

I would like to keep this as a single hop beer if possible, but welcome the thoughts of others on the hops (and even the rest of the recipe). Particularly if there is another hop that would work well in combination with the Bravo or complement it, as I was originally thinking of using some Amarillo or Centennial to dry hop with.

Ta,
Alec

:chug:

When you say they are described as being "pleasant" that pretty much means they wont be a suitable aroma hop for an apa or american ipa. That't not to say that they wouldn't make for an excellent hoppy pale ale/ipa, just not a typical citrusy apa. They seem to be along the same lines as goldings flavour wise from what I read quickly a moment ago.

Back