Braumeister 50L

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you got the quote for the 15amp. The quotes I had were all over $1000, and I went the 20L, which I'm more than happy with.

Also, think about trying a few BIAB brews before you shell out for all the gear. It cost me about $100 to get going with pot, yoga mat, bag, hop sock, cube and fermenter. And I still use most of it now with the BM, although I've yet to find another use for the yoga mat. Not trying to put you off, but it will help you sort out if it's worth the extra costs for the 50L. For me it just wasn't.

When I bought my BM I was scaling down from a 3v system that I could brew 60 litres on without any problem.
The main reason I went to the 20litre BM was the fact that the larger systems are heavy when it comes to cleaning, lifting malt pipe etc etc.
My decision had nothing to do with cost, 15 amp power or anything but purely that I was over having 50 to 60 litres of the same beer to drink and the weight factor of lifting and moving the gear for cleaning.
I brew for myself and quite often I do a brew for my son but he seems to like the mega swill styles and l go for more traditional beers so it just means I have some busy weekends. :) but after all it is my hobby.

I made a jacket from nitrile rubber insulation that I bought for under $50 and it was enough to make two jackets.

I made a dome from a stainless steel bowl that I bought for under $10 at a local catering shop. I know the Speidel stuff is quality but no way was I spending upwards of $300 on a dome be it copper or stainless.

Here is the home made hood.
image.jpg

Here is the BM with its coat and hat. :) before I made the cut out in the dome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 43
Is there no oven circuit you can splice into?

Upgrade to a three tap font if you are doing the keg king style three keg kegerator.

Have you got somewhere to ferment your wort where you can control the temperature? You will need to keep a steady 18-22C for ales and 0-16C for lagers.

I have the stainless dome for the 20l. G&G stock both. I looked at the copper one but being a plumber the copper felt a little soft and I was worried about dinging it. I'm using it for the 1st time this morning as I have a week off work as we have none. Interested to see how much more vigorous the boil is and mine is already quite good.

Batz said:
I have everything but the dome, is the copper one hard to keep looking good? I see they now make a stainless dome but I haven't seen any of the Aussie retailers with it listed as yet.

Batz

That does look cool! What does the inside of the hood look like?

Do any of the braumeister users here that don't use a hood, find that having a less vigorous boil affects the end out come of the beer?

Or is this purely a case of some people want a more vigorous boil?

I'm genuinely curious here.

Tahoose said:
Do any of the braumeister users here that don't use a hood, find that having a less vigorous boil affects the end out come of the beer?

Not an issue for me, I sit the lid slightly off due to boil over. I don't use a jacket or hood

I use a jacket as I brew outside. I don't have an issue with vigorous boil.

Tahoose said:

The boil with a BM is not as vigorous as I have seen with gas fired systems, but it is sufficient to drive off DMS: I make a lot of lagers and have never noticed DMS. Certainly the jacket and hood give a more intense boil, which may assist with caramelisation and the production of melanoidins. That said I think the boil on a BM is vigorous enough for most peoples needs.

I have a jacket and boil without a lid or dome, I find the boil OK. This said I'll like a sexy dome for my BM.

Batz

I made the dome mainly because I was chasing beer clarity.
I am currently into pale lagers and I was getting a slight chill haze.
Since I have used the dome I recon the beers are a lot clearer with the more intense boil.

Cheers

Somewhere I saw a vid on lid off verses hood on boil experiment. Must have been you tube or flicker, looked like quite an improvement in the boil.

batz

Just looking at these stainless hoods

Grain & Grape $310.00 plus $23.60 shipping
$333.60.

Direct from Germany $265.00 delivered to my door. :p

My apologizes sambow for taking this way of your topic, I hope you are getting some information from it though.

Batz

No worries at all Batz. I'm actually getting heaps of info from all of the posters in the thread which is awesome.
Cheers

here's my 50lt

I don't use a plate chiller anymore though, still have the Hop Rocket.

BM 003.JPG

Latest posts

Back