Brass Monkey Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan 117

Reaction score
Hey Guys, long time no see.

Was in Perth/Freo not to long ago and came across a pretty bloody good beer in the Sail and Anchor called Brass Monkey.

Have searched around for this one but no joy. Wondering if anyone knows a place in Melbourne that has it on tap atm.

Don't think they bottle it but if someone knows otherwise let me know.

Cheers

Aaron

I'm pretty sure it's specific to the Sail and Anchor.
Someone from Perth should know!

Hi Aaron,

Yes, it's a pretty bloody good stout - one of my favourites. It sued to be brewed by Sail and Anchor, but that was bought out I think and now it's brewed somewhere else? Can't remember the specifics. I'm pretty sure its not bottled, as I'm sure I would have seen it somewhere around.

I emailed the head brewer a while ago to find out some if info about their recipe, so I could brew something similar. If it helps, I've included the response below...

My question is regarding the Brass Monkey Stout, which I drink regularly at the Brass Monkey in Northbridge. This is one of the best stouts I have ever tasted, and unfortunately it means that the Alpha Pale rarely gets a look in these days! I am trying to brew an all-grain clone of this beer, and was wondering whether you might be able to help me in any way with regards to ingredients or amounts.

My guess is that it contains the following:

Pale Malt
Crystal Malt, maybe a couple of types including some dark crystal
Chocolate Malt for the toasty choclatey notes
Roasted Barley for the roasty coffee flavours
Flaked oats for the mouthfeel, and possibly also some flaked barley?

Am I on the right track here? Also, I'm a bit unsure of the proportions of choc to roast barley, and how much crystal to use.

Hops seem only to be used for bittering, so I'm guessing something like EKG to around 50IBU's?

Yeast I'm unsure, but I'd assume that an english yeast with a low attenuation would provide some fruitiness while allowing some of the sweetness to remain?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Ben,

You are pretty spot on with the grist bill. No flaked barley but rolled oats for mouthfeel. IBU is around 50, made up of EKG and Fuggles.
Good to hear from a Brass fan. Weve done a bit of work on it and are pretty happy with the direction its taking.
If we can lend any advice, let us know. If you need a couple of palates to taste the clone, wed love to help!
Happy brewing.

Hi Aaron,

Yes, it's a pretty bloody good stout - one of my favourites. It sued to be brewed by Sail and Anchor, but that was bought out I think and now it's brewed somewhere else? Can't remember the specifics. I'm pretty sure its not bottled, as I'm sure I would have seen it somewhere around.

I emailed the head brewer a while ago to find out some if info about their recipe, so I could brew something similar. If it helps, I've included the response below...

Cheers for the post mate it's a step to me making my own.

One question though. How to get that lovely vanilla flavour, my guess is either artifically (yuk) o rbut addint some vanilla beans to the mash/boil/fermentor.

Any ideas ?

Aaorn

One question though. How to get that lovely vanilla flavour, my guess is either artifically (yuk) o rbut addint some vanilla beans to the mash/boil/fermentor.

There's a thread recently on vanilla and how to get the best vanilla flavour. Interestingly, I think there were a couple of people who suggested imitation vanilla flavour, rather than true vanilla essence. The other option is to take a couple of vanilla pods, slit them down the middle, scrape the insides, chop the pods up, and add this to the secondary.

Cheers for the post mate it's a step to me making my own.

Any ideas ?

Aaorn

Pretty sure Feral now make this beer so they would be the guys to ask!. Also pretty sure they wouldnt use artificial vanilla

Back