Brass Gate Valve Or Conventional Tap ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuarkVI

Reaction score
Anybody have a suggestion as to whether a gate valve or normal brass tap (the garden variety) would be best as the tap on my copper BIAB kettle (modded hot water cylinder) ?

At first thought the gate valve as no seal to be affected by heat. Both can be taken apart for full cleaning. Or is there a better suggestion ?

Wanting to stick to brass fittings as I think they look better with the copper :)

cheers

Your regular garden variety tap is a gate valve. Think you mean ball valve ?
Either way, I'd go the ball.

I'd be thinking ball too. On. Off.

Gate valve? Twisty. Twisty. Twisty.

Quarter turn Ball Valve. Not as sexy looking as the other options but the only way to go. Make sure to look inside. Some I have looked at do not have a round ball but one with flat sides. Not sure why they do it but it looks like it would trap wort much easier. They may do it just for that reason, to flush trapped water from the side of the ball. I still would stay away from any like that.

Dont forget to pickle the brass. They are all supposed to have some lead in them and who knows what the Chinese put in them?

Latest posts

Back