Brand Of Grain Make A Difference?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakester

Reaction score
Hi all, i have been wondering for a while if the different brands of grain make a big difference overall. We recently started buying and cracking our own grains and for our base malts, pilsner and pale, we got the full sack of 25 kg for each, both Joe White. Would we be better off spending a bit more for the other brands like Wyermanns? Will we notice much difference with the base malts or what are the benefits of the other brands? We are all out of pilsner and thought i would post this before i went and got another sack.
Oh yeah, we mainly brew pale ale type beers if that helps any. Cheers in advance!

Not necessarily better off - they just taste different. Try a bit of each and see what you think.

Yes there is a difference though - rest is personal preference.

Hi all, i have been wondering for a while if the different brands of grain make a big difference overall. We recently started buying and cracking our own grains and for our base malts, pilsner and pale, we got the full sack of 25 kg for each, both Joe White. Would we be better off spending a bit more for the other brands like Wyermanns? Will we notice much difference with the base malts or what are the benefits of the other brands? We are all out of pilsner and thought i would post this before i went and got another sack.
Oh yeah, we mainly brew pale ale type beers if that helps any. Cheers in advance!

I try to match the region of the style of beer as far as brands go but hay, this is home brew and cost is important.
Often I use a cheaper but quality base malt like BB Ale for eg, but don't skimp on the spec malts, yeast and hops. As some have said " Depends", budget, availability, if its for judging to style etc. I just try to do the best I can and if I can't get close I'll leave that brew for another day and make something else.Gives me something to look forward to.
Daz

I'm a big believer in using the right malt for the job, so brew my German beers with German base malt, English beers with English base malt and Aussie beers with Aussie base malt. Having said that, I do use Aussie wheat malt for weizens and generally use Australian or German malts for my American style beers and they seem to turn out ok.

The kilning matters more than the provenance of the grain but that can be More or less important in some styles.

Cheers

Grant

Back