Bottles V's Kegs - Why The Difference In Conditioning Time?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone who racks from the fermenter to the keg, carbonate and drink within two weeks notice a change in taste over, say, a month later (if it lasts that long)?

My beers taste great at racking, then shit at 2-3 weeks (flavours not blending well) and then beautiful at 4+ weeks. Hence I rack to a keg, carb and leave it for a month.
I bottle only, but all brews have improved incrementally week by week. I have only been brewing for a year, my first brew (K and K)was crap, no head and a nasty taste which I think in hind sight came from pitching yeast at 26 deg. I left most of it behind, and last week I found a bottle and thought, i wonder how this is? It was actually quite drinkable after 12 minths in the bottle. Not great, but a lot better than it was.

I am now partial mashing, and still note that every brew has tasted pretty average after 2 weeks, OK at 4 weeks and really good after 8 weeks. problem is, I brewed a wit beer last weekend (bottled 9 days ago) and I can't wait to try it!

Latest posts

Back