Bottles Primed, Accidently Stored At 4 Degrees For 2 Days

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New to brewing and it shows! I finally put down my first brew, everything was looking good, fermenter had stopped bubbling, SG constant for three days, so i bottled the brew. Once bottled I put them back into the old cartons, and placed them back into the fridge that i used to control the temp of the fermentation process.

Problem; while doing this i neglected to notice the temp probe slip out of the bottom of the fridge! As a result, when the ambiant temp rose above 19 (day) degrees the fridge kicked in and set about cooling the freshly bottled beer to 4ish degrees! and would have held it there until the ambiant temp dropped to below 17 (night) degrees... anyhow this went on for the next two days until i went near the fridge and realised it was on!

Question; Have i destroyed the yeast? or will it come back to life now that the temp has been raised? Any experienced advice would be greatly appreciated.

Concerned first timer...

Cheers, Matt

I'm going with the standard advice of "Relax, and have another home brew"

Bring them in somewhere warm, give 'em a shake and wait a fortnight and I bet they will carb up.

What kind of yeast was it? If it is even half decent it should survive to carb your brew.

Anyone know the temp at which yeast die completely?

I would have thought at 4-5 degrees it would just be napping, not dead.

Gidday Matt

The beer will be fine. Just put the probe back in and let it warm it up. I know all about cold bottles I live in Canberra. They will be fine. The second fermentation (in the bottle) will be complete after a week or so, but don't drink them for at least a month if you can help it. You can then progress to the next brew after a week, at the end of the month you should have 4 brews or 120 bottles of wonderful brew to consume. Cheers Steve

Thanks Guys for your words of wisdom, looks like I'll be sitting tight (keeping the temp up) and things should work out fine for my first brew! By the way i used the safale US-05 yeast.

Thanks again, cheers!

Matt

I've been having some problems with chill haze so have started racking each brew into a spare fermenter, chilling it right down to just over freezing then mixing in a product called 'Polyclar' that only works when the beer is cold. Then I let it warm up and bottle it.

Haven't killed a yeastie yet :p You're on the right track, don't worry.

cheers

I've accidently frozen beer in the cube when cold conditioning....bloody big ice block in the centre :lol: Thawed it out, bottled and primed, no probs at all. (granted, it wasn't all frozen, but I would say at least half the volume was solid.)

Nope, just a dodgy fridge that freezes everything if you're not careful...including low abv beer. :lol: I no longer cc in this fridge, its been relegated to other duties.

As said already, it will be fine. The yeast won't die at cold temps it just goes dormant. I've heard a few tales of frozen brews that have been warmed up and still carb'ed up fine.
The first line of the first post said it best I think:

RAHAHB.

Back