Bottle priming with measure and funnel - sanitation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inconceivable

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm going to bottle prime with dextrose; my question is what sanitation steps are recommended?
i.e. if i just use my plastic measure device; possibly with the aid of a funnel in the bottle mouth is there anything i should do?
I figure i can sanitize the measure device and funnel with my Starsan spray but i wonder if in leaving them to dry (so the sugar wont stick) they'll just pickup airborne bacteria....

I would consider...

1- Boil some (say 3-400 mLs) water to sanitise it.
2- Add and dissolve the amount of sugar for all of your bottles, (e.g.: might be 150 grams or whatever) into the water.
3- GENTLY stir in the sugar/water mix to your fermenter / bottling bucket just prior to bottling.

Dont need no funnels etc, all easy.

Then theres less risk of over / under carbonation etc, and you can easily fine tune your next brews carbonation by changing the amount of sugar in total for the whole brew.

My opinion:
1- Its great to be so concerned with sanitation, but I think if you are simply adding sugar to bottles, just using a clean / sanitised / dried funnel would be fine.
2- When you are bottling, your brew already has a percentage of alcohol which will help kill the odd bug, so don't over stress.
3- Sanitation at the start of fermentation is WAY MORE important to be really clean.
4- Its important to get your fermentation under way quickly and vigorously, so that the yeast can get into the sugars before any bugs that might have dropped in for a free feed.

Don't stress too much at bottling time, clean / sanitised bottles and equipment will ensure you won't have a problem.

Oh- and most importantly - Enjoy :)

Thanks for the feedback super.
Ive listened to a bunch of stuff recently where guys like Mosher and Palmer are stressing the need to avoid oxidizing and i don't trust my stirring to bulk prime so I'll get on with the bottle priming now thanks

Put the water/sugar solution in the bottom of a bottling bucket then rack to the bucket... Stirs itself as you rack.

Seriously, bulk priming is the way to go. You wont regret it. Make the sugar syrup according to your volume and desired carbonation, tip it in and give a gentle stir and its done.

No need to stir as mstelan said

rude said:
No need to stir as mstelan said
I have found the first bottle or two is over carved when I do this. I figure some sugar in and around the tap doesn't mix, so maybe pour half a litre off and gently tip back in.

hi all

you may be interested to know that I'll be pushing on with bulk priming and probably giving up on bottle priming after a massive debacle bottling this morning.

What happened was I've done a small test batch of 4L in a 15L fermenter. I bottle primed with dextrose and the measure/ funnel which was fine.
Because there was so little volume it was bloody hard to get the wort off the trub without a million bits of sediment clogging my bottle filler. I ended up only getting 2.4L out of the batch before the sediment mix was unacceptable; I was going crazy with the need to tilt the fermenter to get any wort out; which meant the trub was getting mixed around too much and then everything clogged.

So long story short I figure I'll have to rack my next 4L batch off the yeast cake/trub to avoid the bottle filler getting so badly clogged and since I'll be racking I may as well rack into a bottling bucket where I can add bulk priming liquid

See what works best for you but in answer to your actual question I don't worry about sanitising funnels or measures because of how well the sugar clings to them as its hard to dry them without completely negating any sanitation performed, have never had an infection due to using unsanitised spoons or funnels, just make sure they've been cleaned and even rinsed with boiling water and left to air dry before use. I have tried bulk priming after relentless suggestion that its better but had a batch of porter unevenly carbonate across bottles (most were still and the last few had an SG of like 1.025) and only brew 10-13L batches so I'm happy to use a measure and do each bottle at a time. Bulk priming seems to work for almost everybody but the time it takes to boil up sugar I've already primed each bottle and I know 100% that there is at least very close to the same amount of priming sugar in each bottle.

Latest posts

Back