Bottle Pasteurisation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if I get a pot of water 60-70 degrees, and put in my carbed bottles (room temp) turn off heat and leave 10min.. Then rinse in cool water. That should work.

What is the function of the rinsing? What if I didnt rinse.. and just left it to come down on its own, would this still kill the yeasties and retain carbination.. Im just a bit cautious of the glass :( . My bottles are old long necks which have been used for preserving pasta sauce, so they have been boiled many times, but they have never been taken from heat to cold water.

If the same result can be achieved without the rinsing, that would make me feel alot better about it. ;)

Thanks

So if I get a pot of water 60-70 degrees, and put in my carbed bottles (room temp) turn off heat and leave 10min.. Then rinse in cool water. That should work.

What is the function of the rinsing? What if I didnt rinse.. and just left it to come down on its own, would this still kill the yeasties and retain carbination.. Im just a bit cautious of the glass :( . My bottles are old long necks which have been used for preserving pasta sauce, so they have been boiled many times, but they have never been taken from heat to cold water.

If the same result can be achieved without the rinsing, that would make me feel alot better about it. ;)

Thanks

You're taking me too literally, my fault though! I used the slang term 'rinse and repeat' to describe the action of having to use the same method of pasteurising over and over again for a large batch of bottles. There is no rinsing to be done! Rinsing would only heighten the risk of bottle bombs/cracks due to a massive change in temperature. Just let them sit in the sink or on a table top that isn't affected by heat until room temperature. :)

You're taking me too literally, my fault though! I used the slang term 'rinse and repeat' to describe the action of having to use the same method of pasteurising over and over again for a large batch of bottles. There is no rinsing to be done! Rinsing would only heighten the risk of bottle bombs/cracks due to a massive change in temperature. Just let them sit in the sink or on a table top that isn't affected by heat until room temperature. :)

Oooh.. :lol: sorry.. Im so dull :rolleyes: , I do tend to take things too literally..
Yeh I was thinking that about cracks due to temp change.. and I know you said in your other answers to my question, but it still went over my head.

Excellent.. I understand now.

Thanks for being so patient, and I will be using this method. :D
Cheers

Chookers: Are you wanting to pasteurise beer? If so you need to be careful of holding them too hot for a long time as this can cause flavour instability and hasten staling reactions. Not sure about cider though... I imagine that the oxidation reaction in cider would be sped up just as it is in beer.

I would recommend cooling them as quickly as possible. I'd have a second pot with 40-45 degree water and put the bottles in there to warm up before hand and then cool down after, with a final cool down in the sink with 'cold' (room temp) water.

Everyone always says heating juice to sanitise prior to fermentation is a bad idea due to something that the heat does to the pectins - is this less of an issue post-fermentation?

I've never done this for beer, so I can't speak on it's behalf, but I've also never experienced 'off flavours' from this method. This is because I bottle as the must is still fermenting, so I have a permanent CO2 'blanket' over the bottles the whole time (small chance of oxidation).

Everyone always says heating juice to sanitise prior to fermentation is a bad idea due to something that the heat does to the pectins - is this less of an issue post-fermentation?

Pectins won't worry you with this method. Pectins set in at around boiling point, and you will be going no-where near there. I usually pasteurise my organic juice prior to fermentation by simmering on a heat plate (primarily due to my concern of sulphite allergies as outlined in a previous post), and have had no problems with my cider clearing out.

no, it would be Mead and Braggot.. possibly even the Pyment experiment.. All the brews I got going at the moment are experimental all from kits and concentrates. I plan on carbonating half of each brew.. but I dont like things too dry, so I was looking for a way to stop fermentation without using additives as I am allergic. I plan on making apple beer next, I would like to use homemade apple juice but I will probably use a cider concentrate first. Thats an excellent idea with the second pot, I may do that aswell, even though Im not doing beer. :icon_cheers:

My brews always end up too dry.. out of all my experiments I have had one mead success (this of course was before I got in the habit of writing everything down) but have'nt been able to recreate it. The rest turned out yuk!

Back