Bottle Conditioning Measurement.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lyrebird_Cycles said:
At 24 hours these bottles show headspace pressures of 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6 Bar against an expected final pressure of about 1.8, putting them well ahead of the bottles in the first experiment at the same stage.
Now at 3 days, all three showing are showing 1.9 Bar indicating a [CO2] of 4.9 g/l against expected 4.8.

The difference is probably due to the fact that I changed the mixing loss factor in the calculator from 10% to 20%, which I did to account for the double decanting of this beer when bulk priming. If I'd entered 15% the calculation would have been closer.

Per the above, they all came to pressure in 3 days. Bottle sampled at 7 days looked OK, remainder are due out tomorrow.

I pulled the guage heads off that batch and used them again for another brew, this time I didn't mix as much yeast back in from the secondary. Two of these came to pressure in four days eg slightly slower than with better mixed yeast. The last one is still below 1 bar, I think it's leaking.

Next up is another batch of the Belgian style golden ale, this time I'm doing half with no yeast addition after the secondary and half with DV10 as a conditioning yeast.

Considering the mixing loss factor a bit, would the effect of fewer yeast cells into the bottle affect only the time to reach steady state pressure and that pressure would be reached regardless?

Yep. Sugar determines CO2 level which determines pressure, yeast just gets it there faster (or not at all)

I'm now using a mixing loss factor of 15% in the calculator, last batch was within 0.1 g/l of target.

If I can stay within 0.2 g/l I'll be happy, that's a decent commercial spec.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
Next up is another batch of the Belgian style golden ale, this time I'm doing half with no yeast addition after the secondary and half with DV10 as a conditioning yeast.
Per the above: seemingly no difference in rates of CO2 accumulation between the control and one with the added DV10. NB the DV10 version was racked clean before the extra yeast was added whilst the control had some remnant yeast (S189) mixed in so yeast counts were similar.

After 2 weeks conditioning and a few days cooling, I prefer the version with the DV10. I'll keep evaluating them as pairs over the next few weeks to see if this changes.

Latest posts

Back