Bottle conditioning a Belgian Triple... should I use bottling yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muz

Reaction score
Subject line says it all. I usually don't worry with bottling yeast but this Triple is a little higher ABV than normal so I thought I might need to. I was looking for CBC-1 but everywhere is out of stock at the moment. I can get some EC-1118. Just worried about changing the taste by using it.

About the beer:
OG 1.072
FG ~1.010
ABV 8.3
Fermentation yeast Belgian Abbey II (Wyeast 1762)
By the weekend when I intend to bottle it will have been in the primary at 20 degrees for four weeks.
I'll be priming with corn sugar and conditioning in champagne bottles

Side question - when do people find Triples come into their prime? About 12 months?

W1762 can cope with up to 12%ABV so its got the legs to condition the beer, only concern would be having enough in suspension after sitting in the fermenter for 4 weeks.
If you are bulk priming (I would) take a teaspoon or two of the slurry from the fermenter and stir it in with the Dextrose, so its evenly distributed in the bottles.

I would share concerns about what EC1118 can do to the flavour of a Belgian, its also extremely attenuative so you are likely to get a bit more fizz than expected.
Mark

W1762 can cope with up to 12%ABV so its got the legs to condition the beer, only concern would be having enough in suspension after sitting in the fermenter for 4 weeks.
If you are bulk priming (I would) take a teaspoon or two of the slurry from the fermenter and stir it in with the Dextrose, so its evenly distributed in the bottles.

I would share concerns about what EC1118 can do to the flavour of a Belgian, its also extremely attenuative so you are likely to get a bit more fizz than expected.
Mark

Thanks Mark. This is exactly what I was concerned about.

I typically don’t bulk prime. I’ve got an over the top method of making up my priming liquid and then using a syringe to individually prime each bottle. A little OTT but I’ve found it works well for me. No reason why I can’t add some slurry to the priming liquid though.

Thanks Mark. This is exactly what I was concerned about.

I typically don’t bulk prime. I’ve got an over the top method of making up my priming liquid and then using a syringe to individually prime each bottle. A little OTT but I’ve found it works well for me. No reason why I can’t add some slurry to the priming liquid though.

Just be wary adding yeast slurry to a very hypertonic, small volume priming solution. This comment is only made on a theoretical basis, but there is a risk you could damage your yeast by excessive osmotic force across the cell membrane and end up with off flavours/not enough viable yeast in solution to prime. It may be fine (and isn't something I've ever done or read about), just basing this on fundamentals of cellular/fluid physiology and the damage osmotic forces can exert on cells.

JD

Fair cop, worth thinking about.
I suspect dormant yeast that has been sitting in an 8% ABV beer is going to be fairly slow to start working again (hours not days) and that a short exposure to a lot of sugar wont bother it too much.
Agree that bulk priming would be a better option, less stress all round.
Mark

Fair cop, worth thinking about.
I suspect dormant yeast that has been sitting in an 8% ABV beer is going to be fairly slow to start working again (hours not days) and that a short exposure to a lot of sugar wont bother it too much.
Agree that bulk priming would be a better option, less stress all round.
Mark

I don't know if it is a real risk, just something I'd think about. Agreed it's for a short period of time, but I know the effort and time commitment that goes into big Belgians and would hate to see it go pear shaped and affect the quality of the product.

JD

Latest posts

Back