Bottle Conditioned Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiderpig

Reaction score
Hey legends,

Wanna call on your wealth of experience out there on some recommendations on bottled yeast I can cultivate. Have done the main culprits already being Coopers, White Rabbit and Mountain Goat, but really want to build up the yeast bank with other varieties for possible future uses.

What others are out there that can be cultivated considering most of the said "Bottle Conditioned" beers don't supply a primary yeast strain or yeast that can even be bought back to life? I have a good bank of Hefe yeasts from the Whitelabs WLP300, so not sure I need any more of these - though the Wyeast 3068(Weihenstephan Weizen) would be a good addition if this can be extracted anywhere.

Love this side of brewing and would like to hear what you guys have tried successfully.

Spiderpig
(Can I swing from a Tree? No I can't cause I'm a pig)

Hoegaarden and coopers are the only ones I have successfully cultured frmo a bottle.

I cultured up some Unibroue yeast from a bottle of Le Terrible. I was expecting a gross failure, but I stepped it up from 50ml to 400ml to 1.5l no worries, and it was tasting great (if a little "hot", as it was summer and I wasn't using temp control).

Unfortunately, an incident involving waywards hands and a dropped alfoil seal on the larger starter meant that it was left exposed to the elements for a few hours before I noticed what had happened. The next day there was a lovely little (what I assume to be) acetobacteria film over the top and a noticable sour smell coming from it.

It was all an experiment, so I wasn't fussed. But we're talking an 11% beer here, and the yeast we still viable enough to come back. And the starter had that very distinctive unibroue smell and flavour, right up until it went and got infected.

I've successfully cultured from a pint bottle of Two Metre Tall Brewing Company's Huon Ale and last night added it to an batch of pale ale I was doing, just as an experiment. I've read that some brewerys that bottle condition their yeast sometimes use a different yeast than that used for primary so I'm a bit worried about that. I also reckon there is a good chance I under pitched. I guess I was eager to try it as an experiment but until I see signs of life I'll be worried. To be honest I could get no info on what try of yeast they use or even if its suitable for the style I'm going for, but I was keen to try something different with this batch.

It was surprisingly easy to cultivate though. Each bottle has the brewdate hand written on a label so its easy to find a 'fresher' bottle to use. In theory it should be fine, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Apart from that my efforts to culture from a bottle of Rogue to get some of their Pacman yeast have been a total failure, however I read on an american site last night that they might filter some of their lines. Other than that the issue could be brew date of the beer I used. I'm guessing any Rogue beers in Australia are a bit older than whats available in the USA.

Love this side of brewing and would like to hear what you guys have tried successfully.
Not what I have cultured but this info is from JBK forums in the UK.
The following should be bottle conditioned with the primary strain:
Chimay red
Rochefort 6,8,10 (AKA Wy1762/WLP540)
Schnider Weisse
William Worthington White shield (AKA Wy1028/WLP013)
Young's Special London Ale (or any other Young's) (AKA 1768)
Hopback Summer Lightning (or any other Hopback)
Brakspear Triple (maybe Wy1275/WLP023)
St Austell Admirals Ale/Proper Job
Fullers 1845 (AKA Wy1968/WLP002)
Westmalle (AKA Wy3787/WLP530)
Morland Hen's Tooth (maybe Wy1275/WLP023)

Why not buy your normal liquid Wyeasts and bottle those, thats how I keep my liquid yeasts. Then you just cultivate/ make a starter from your bottles.

That way you have access to a wide range of yeasts and know what there are.

Have done the main culprits already being Coopers, White Rabbit and Mountain Goat,

When i did the Mountain Goat brewery tour I was told by head Brewer that they use dry yeast as they don't have facility to havest and re-use yeast. I'm guessing US-05 (AKA WY1056). So probably not much point harvesting from a MG bottle, thopugh you will enjoy drinking the beer in the meantime.

Have done .... White Rabbit
Yeah? How'd it go? Im in the process of collecting dregs and will put them all together with some wort soon i guess, but it seems like theres hardly anything in there! About 10 specs per bottle?

Yeah? How'd it go? Im in the process of collecting dregs and will put them all together with some wort soon i guess, but it seems like theres hardly anything in there! About 10 specs per bottle?
If you use agar slants or agar filled petri dishes you should be able to isolate even individual yeast colonies from dregs that appear to have 'no' yeast there.

When i did the Mountain Goat brewery tour I was told by head Brewer that they use dry yeast as they don't have facility to havest and re-use yeast. I'm guessing US-05 (AKA WY1056). So probably not much point harvesting from a MG bottle, thopugh you will enjoy drinking the beer in the meantime.

No guessing, She said they use US-05.

Hi All,

I've been given a 6 pack of the Burleigh Brewing Co Hefe.

Does anyone know what yeast is in the bottle? Is it a wheat yeast or a different bottling strain?

If it is a wheat yeast I'm thinking of getting a starter happening and brewing a dunkelweizen next weekend.

cheers,
cliffo

Back