Bottle Bomb Risk?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron86

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Just fininshed bottling my brew tonight. Several of the bottle I think may have been overfilled. Bottles in question are between 650mL-750mL using 2 coopers carb drops. Some of them were filled to within 1 inch of the caps, so is this likely to pose a risk of explosion?

Also, due to a dodgy bottler, some splashing did occur with a more than half of the bottles, but only for the first few inches pouring in. Is this likely to become oxidised? The splashing wasnt heavy, but enough to create bubbles.

:beer:

you should be right. I put cap on and cap when pouring the next one to minimize time (it can be done). few times the bottle has flooded for a sec but never had a bottle bomb. should be right for oxidization to.

Explosion will happen because the brew is unfinished when you bottle, overprimed or has an infection. It's better to fill the bottles up most of the way and reduce the exposure to oxygen.

A bit of splashing happens every time I bottle. Should be fine. Hard to know as I wasn't there but if you save a bottle to test in 12 months time you should know. If it's to be drunk relatively soon I wouldn't get too concerned. Reduce splashing as much as possible but don't sweat the little stuff too much when you're just starting out.

Thank you for the responses gents. If all goes well this will easily be my best brew so far.

Cant believe how much punch the Amarillo is giving now, as opposed to the samples @ 10 days.

Now comes the painful 4 week wait :(

Latest posts

Back