• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Bolstering Malt Levels In Secondary

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

We brewed a large batch (55l boiled for ~76l in two fermenters) last Tuesday.

We were spot on our targets throughout the night; then got a little sloppy (02:30 and too many brews I suspect) and added too much water to the fermenters while chasing the SG of 1053. Over shot to 1049. Sounds like an advertisement for No Chill doesn't it? We were gutted...

Racking tonight. I wonder if there is any merit in adding some boiled DME in secondary to try and correct the gravity? Any thoughts?

Cheers

Breezy

I'm not sure you'd notice the difference... except that you now have more beer.

I'm not sure you'd notice the difference... except that you now have more beer.

Do you think so? It would be good to get away with it in the sense that we end up with a drinkable brew - if not the targeted brew. I don't have enough experience under my belt yet to know. Its an SNPA clone with a fair hop schedule; so I just wonder whether it will be unbalanced; a little light in body and perhaps overly bitter.

If it was all in one fermenter then I wouldn't even consider the notion. But we have 20l in a small fermenter; which offers an opportunity to try correcting it and then compare the two once bottled and conditioned.

What was the recipe/mash schedule?

As you have it in two fermenters and you're keen for experimentation you could add extra malt to one... it would be best to add it as you're racking.

as far as the balance of the hopping is concerned, it will make no difference...the og went down due to increased volume. As volume goes up, ibu goes down. It would have maintainded the same BUGU ratio as the original OG at the original volume.....coming in under grav at the same volume (due to efficiency probs, etc.) is another story alltogether.
And if a 1049 is going to be lacking body, then the additional 5 points wouldn't have helped at all, and you would need a drastic rethink on your recipe formulation and mash schedule. 5 points down on a targer of 1040 is another issue....
rdwhahb.

as far as the balance of the hopping is concerned, it will make no difference...the og went down due to increased volume. As volume goes up, ibu goes down. It would have maintainded the same BUGU ratio as the original OG at the original volume.....coming in under grav at the same volume (due to efficiency probs, etc.) is another story alltogether.
And if a 1049 is going to be lacking body, then the additional 5 points wouldn't have helped at all, and you would need a drastic rethink on your recipe formulation and mash schedule. 5 points down on a targer of 1040 is another issue....
rdwhahb.

RDWHAHB indeed.

Thanks guys. I'll leave it as is and cross the fingers for the first tasting.

Cheers

Breezy

Latest posts

Back