Bok, Would This Work

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxairtime

Reaction score
hey guys.I took the the wife too a nice brewy last week called the last drop brewy and restaraunt in canning vale WA.Here we tryed a bok or bock maybe.Has any one out their eva heard of it.It was very dark in colour started off with a fairly rich toasted coffee that was sweet ,finished with a bold bitter hop .On the menu it said it had been brewed with larger yeast,is this traditional with boks.If so i was thinking about 1 can coopers stout steeping in 250g roasted barly, 250 chocolate,500g lme,500g dextrose,250g corn syrup powder.Brewing safelager yeast @ 13deg for 4weeks bottling maturing 2 months.DRINK :party: .Would this work and is it close too what a bok is meant too be.And is it bok orrrr bock??? :wacko: until next time my fello homebrewers see yas :super:

It is BOCK

There are several styles of Bock
Bock, Maibock, Doppelbock, Eisbock

Bocks generally have an high SG..around 1065

Most are made using Munich malt, so they will be a bit malty

Should be about the same colour as Porter but not as dark as stout

Is a lager

Hoping is fairly low.
Bitterness/Gravity ratio should be about 0.35ish ie for an SG 1065 the IBU's should be 22

You might be better to use a Coopers Dark Ale kit as it wont be as bitter as Stout, but if you want bitter then use the Stout.

Think of it as a Porter brewed as a Larger but

A Stout brewed as a Lager would be more like Schwartzbeir....and that is yummy....

Note:. I must thank Ray Daniels -"Designing Great Beers " for some of the technical stuff

You might be better to use a Coopers Dark Ale kit as it wont be as bitter as Stout, but if you want bitter then use the Stout.
Think of it as a Porter brewed as a Larger
what sort of dried yeast would work with this please...saflager?
fermented at what 10/c etc...?

A Stout brewed as a Lager would be more like Schwartzbeir....and that is yummy....
same again would i use saflager? fermented at what 10/c etc...?
cheers simpletotoro

so i was thinking about 1 can coopers stout steeping in 250g roasted barly, 250 chocolate,500g lme,500g dextrose,250g corn syrup powder.

There is no way this would be anything like a bock! For a start there's not enough fermentables, so this would be nearly standard strength. The stout kit will be too bitter, as will the dark ale.

Start with a lager kit and add 1kg of light dry malt extract. Then add your 250g chocolate grain or whatever you have. Add about 1kg dextrose if you must, but no corn syrup and DEFINITELY no roasted barley!

Ferment with lager yeast at low temperature, making sure that the final gravity is reached before bottling/kegging.

This will give you something more bock-like, although still a bit low on the alcohol.

There is no way this would be anything like a bock! For a start there's not enough fermentables, so this would be nearly standard strength. The stout kit will be too bitter, as will the dark ale.

Start with a lager kit and add 1kg of light dry malt extract. Then add your 250g chocolate grain or whatever you have. Add about 1kg dextrose if you must, but no corn syrup and DEFINITELY no roasted barley!

Ferment with lager yeast at low temperature, making sure that the final gravity is reached before bottling/kegging.

This will give you something more bock-like, although still a bit low on the alcohol.
Thanks for the advise blackbock any chance you would have maybe a partial mash recipe for me or anyone else?Would be much apreiciated :lol: see yas :super:

I'm pretty certain there are Bock kits around from memory. ESB? I think black rock does one but I could be wrong.

Otherwise take a german lager kit as the start as mentioned. Any partial mash recipe should utilise munich malt for sure. I think there was a style of the week thread on this so recipes should be found there too...

I've been waiting for this thread for ages. I am lucky enough to live about ten minutes walk away from the Last Drop in Warnbro over here and have been in absolute blissful love with old mates Bock since the very first mL of the sweet nectar touched my lips. I don't want to sound like a wanker but I've travelled to a few countries around the world, and whilst I don't profess to be even a novice technical judge of beer, I know what I like, and this is the best beer I have ever tasted. Bar none. Full stop.

I cannot get enough of it and have to make a conscious effort not to go to this pub every day of the week. His other beers are supurb as well, some have won a few awards and they also do a cracking feed too. I can only urge you to, if you ever find yourself in the vicinity of one of the Last Drops, drop in for a pint and see what I'm carrying on like a knob about.

Disclaimer disclaimer disclaimer..... after re reading my post I suppose it could be construed that i have an affiliation with the above mentioned establishment, may I just say, I do not, I just really, really, REALLY love the beer. The atmosphere's shit at the Warnbro one and unless your eating there really is hardly anywhere to sit but the beer more than makes up for it.

hey guys.I took the the wife too a nice brewy last week called the last drop brewy and restaraunt in canning vale WA.Here we tryed a bok or bock maybe.Has any one out their eva heard of it.It was very dark in colour started off with a fairly rich toasted coffee that was sweet ,finished with a bold bitter hop .On the menu it said it had been brewed with larger yeast,is this traditional with boks.If so i was thinking about 1 can coopers stout steeping in 250g roasted barly, 250 chocolate,500g lme,500g dextrose,250g corn syrup powder.Brewing safelager yeast @ 13deg for 4weeks bottling maturing 2 months.DRINK :party: .Would this work and is it close too what a bok is meant too be.And is it bok orrrr bock??? :wacko: until next time my fello homebrewers see yas :super:

Hi mxairtime, regarding the kit Bock, I am drinking a Black Rock Bock now brewed with 500grm dex, 1kg dme. Then brewed as per the can. It turned out bloody good I am enjoying it at the moment and will be doing again, next time I might do it with lme instead of the dme.
BREW ON :super:

It's a good time for brewing Bock, nice and cool.

A HBS down the coast sells this as a Bock recipe pack:

1 can Black Rock Bock
1 can Amber malt liquid
1/2 kg Crystal malt
Saflager

For all details on what Bock should end up like, check out:

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category5.html

It says Traditional Bock should be "Light copper to brown color, often with attractive garnet highlights" which is quite a wide range for colour. SRM should be 14-22, similar compared to say a English Brown Mild at 12-25. A Brown Porter is 20-30, so a Traditional Bock should be brown and not dark like a Porter. Eisbock would be similar in colour to a Brown Porter at 18-30+.

Ingredients: Munich and Vienna malts, rarely a tiny bit of dark roasted malts for color adjustment, never any non-malt adjuncts. Continental European hop varieties are used. Clean lager yeast.

So forget the dex and corn syrup and make it a full Kg of LME, or more. My light version has 2.5 kg of fermentables plus a kit. Really should have more. Consider culturing up more yeast or perhaps add 2 sachets. Dark Ale is probably a better kit than stout, Morgans make an Ironbark Dark Ale that might be useful as well, or just get that Black Rock Bock kit and enhance it with some grains and extract.

Good luck with your Bock, and enjoy it when it's ready.

Racked my Bock on the weekend, gravity is now 1017 from a starting OG of 1053 ( yes, I know, a touch low for a Bock, but I want to enjoy drinking it, not have it hit me with ABV. )

It's now been fermenting for 10 days and the airlock has subsided to around 1 bubble per minute.

How many days should I leave it in secondary? It's sitting on 13 deg C at the moment in the garage ( no nite time heater ), and the weather forecast is cool and colder. Can I leave it for weeks? How many?

Back