Boiling Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steep in the grains in at least a 3: 1 ratio - ie 3ltrs per 1kg of grain.

Cold steeping si best for dark crystal and above.
Warm steeping at 65-70c is better for lighter grains - you are actually doing a partial mash here.

The general rule is boiling grain will bring out tanins - but i think this really only occurs after 30mins in the boil.
I have kit bags that contain grain and boil for at least 10 - 20 mins for the IPA - no tanins yet.

Hope this helps

Steep in the grains in at least a 3: 1 ratio - ie 3ltrs per 1kg of grain.

Cold steeping si best for dark crystal and above.
Warm steeping at 65-70c is better for lighter grains - you are actually doing a partial mash here.

The general rule is boiling grain will bring out tanins - but i think this really only occurs after 30mins in the boil.
I have kit bags that contain grain and boil for at least 10 - 20 mins for the IPA - no tanins yet.

Hope this helps
It`s interesting you say that about boiling grains, cause Grumpy`s Masterbrew instructions were {and probably still are?}to lightly boil the grains with other contents of the pack for 10 minutes. The theory was because the pack contained malt and other fermentables, a gentle 10 minute boil including the grains would throw no tannins.
And it didn`t. They sold thousands of Masterbrews to happy customers including me that never got a trace of tannin from a lightly boiled pack that contained grain.

stagga.

+1 for the compost bin idea for the spent grain.
I had been leaving mine in the infamous 'desolate' corner of the backyard and a local stray dog came and ate it leaving behind a large Mr Whippy-esque stenchpile!

It`s interesting you say that about boiling grains, cause Grumpy`s Masterbrew instructions were {and probably still are?}to lightly boil the grains with other contents of the pack for 10 minutes. The theory was because the pack contained malt and other fermentables, a gentle 10 minute boil including the grains would throw no tannins.
And it didn`t. They sold thousands of Masterbrews to happy customers including me that never got a trace of tannin from a lightly boiled pack that contained grain.

stagga.

Stagga,

Thanks for Clarifying this, I did a few of the masterbrews, and the last one I think I left boiling for too long or too rapid coz I could really taste the Tannins and had to throw it out.
Now I knwo where I went wrong, I can get back on the horse.

Cheers and Beers

Robbo

Stagga,

Thanks for Clarifying this, I did a few of the masterbrews, and the last one I think I left boiling for too long or too rapid coz I could really taste the Tannins and had to throw it out.
Now I knwo where I went wrong, I can get back on the horse.

Cheers and Beers

Robbo

No worries Robbo.
The bottom line is-yes, you can lightly boil grain for 10 minutes with malts/sugars added with no tannin effects.
Anyone who disagrees has never made a Masterbrew from the G`s,
Well, that`s nailed that one down. :D

stagga.

Back