Boh Pils Recipe Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosto

Reaction score
Hi all,

Wanting to try my hand a creating / brewing a Bohemian style Pilsner, and just wanted clarification on a couple of things. Firstly, any helpful advice in general on the recipe, as always, is appreciated, but mainly I'm wondering if I've gone to heavy on the grain. Is this too much specialty grain? Ideally, I'd use maybe up to 500g and a bit more Light dry malt, but this is what I have on hand. Recipe as follows:

1 x Coopers Pilsener tin
1kg LDME
800g CaraPils
200g Maltodextrin
Saaz 40g @ 30 min
Saaz 40g @ 10
Saaz 40g @ 5
Wyeast 2001 yeast

Steep grains for 30 min then 5L boil for 30 min.

Ferment at 12 deg

Cheers,

Hi all,

Wanting to try my hand a creating / brewing a Bohemian style Pilsner, and just wanted clarification on a couple of things. Firstly, any helpful advice in general on the recipe, as always, is appreciated, but mainly I'm wondering if I've gone to heavy on the grain. Is this too much specialty grain? Ideally, I'd use maybe up to 500g and a bit more Light dry malt, but this is what I have on hand. Recipe as follows:

1 x Coopers Pilsener tin
1kg LDME
800g CaraPils
200g Maltodextrin
Saaz 40g @ 30 min
Saaz 10g @ 10
Saaz 40g @ 5
Wyeast 2001 yeast

Steep grains for 30 min then 5L boil for 30 min.

Ferment at 12 deg

Cheers,

It depends on how you like your Pils. To make it closer to my AG version of Bo Pils

I would virtually get rid of the 800g CaraPils
Saaz 10g @ 10 --> 20g @ 10min
Saaz 40g @ 5 --> 20g @ 5min

QldKev

Cheers Kev,

If I leave out the CaraPils, would up the dry malt? I've got 1kg of light and 1 kg of dark on hand. Could get some more light malt before I brew on the weekend if I have to, but would prefer not. Also, just edited orignal post, 10 min addition should have been 40g as well, not 10g.

Basically, I kept adjusting ingredients on ianh's spreadsheet until I got all green lights for the Boh Pils style. If I put your changes in Kev (assuming still 1kg LDME at this stage) everything comes in a bit low. I've never used Saaz before so maybe I should dial the quantities back a bit and get a bit of an appreciation of what it brings to the table before I go to heavy with it.

Cheers,

Cheers Kev,

If I leave out the CaraPils, would up the dry malt? I've got 1kg of light and 1 kg of dark on hand. Could get some more light malt before I brew on the weekend if I have to, but would prefer not. Also, just edited orignal post, 10 min addition should have been 40g as well, not 10g.

Basically, I kept adjusting ingredients on ianh's spreadsheet until I got all green lights for the Boh Pils style. If I put your changes in Kev (assuming still 1kg LDME at this stage) everything comes in a bit low. I've never used Saaz before so maybe I should dial the quantities back a bit and get a bit of an appreciation of what it brings to the table before I go to heavy with it.

Cheers,

Does that spreadsheet give you an expected SG, if so I would aim between 1.040 for a lighter strength, to just under a 1.050 for more traditional full strength. If you do need to add a few gravity points I think your can get a pilsner style malt extract, but from memory only in liquid.

Saaz is an excellent hop, but I do find 5min or less additions of Saaz can become grassy. 40g @ 10min and another 40g @ 5min would be over the top for me.

QldKev

Does that spreadsheet give you an expected SG, if so I would aim between 1.040 for a lighter strength, to just under a 1.050 for more traditional full strength. If you do need to add a few gravity points I think your can get a pilsner style malt extract, but from memory only in liquid.

FYI, Craftbrewer sell a Pilsen Light Extract in dry form.

Look it's just a guess from me, (yep, that's my disclaimer), but I'd drop the carapils back to about 200-300g.
Never really used maltodextrin, apart from it's inclusion in the brew enhancer ingredients.

Like I said, just a guess.
Apart from that, go for it.

And you should've brewed this months ago, dude... it's pilsner drinking season now! :icon_chickcheers:

Latest posts

Back