Bock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelly

Reaction score
I have been brewing a K&k BeerMakers Bock and have found it to be a very nice Beer .But i would like to take it a step further and try a all grain version .Does anyone have a recpie they would like to share,but i would like the alcohol content to be around 4.5% i know this is contradictory to style .If you can help it would be much appreciated.

Beerbelly, have a look at the Flavour of the Week forum for some threads on different styles. Here is the one on Bock. :)

beerbelly, a bock without knock?

Sounds like you're looking for a malty Munich Dunkel!

Do a search on Bock or Doppellbock there hass been a bit on this subject of late. And as I like to say, "you can never have too much Bock" (mhb)

Guys i appreciate the feed back, the Munich Dunkel sounds the go.Get the Malty goodness but still within a resonable amount of alcohol content.Got to consider my Liver & Marriage.Thanks again BeerBelly

Iam going to do this recipe but i don't understand the term FWH at the hop addition stage.Can someone help out.Thanks BeerBelly
Category: 08. DARK LAGER
Style: Munich Dunkel
Recipe Name: Munich Dunkel
Brewing Method: Mash
Starting Gravity: 1.050
Ending Gravity: 1.010
Alcohol (w/w%): 5.5
Bitterness (IBU): 23
Colour (SRM): Dark Brown
Specification Comments: Fits the style guidelines.
Size of Batch: 22
Batch Size Unit: Liters
Extract Efficiency: 78
Fermentables: Dark munich 3 kg 53.1%Vienna 1 kg 17.7%Pils 1 kg 17.7%Melanoidan 300gms 5.3%Caraaroma 200 gms 3.5%Carafa Special 1 150 gms 2.7%
Hop Additions: Mittlefruh pellets 4.5% 20 gms FWH, 30 gms 70 mins, 6 gms 5 mins.
Wort Preparation: Mash with 13 litres at 66oC for 90 mins. Sparge with 27 litres at 75 to 70oc for 50 mins.
Boiling and Cooling: Boiled for 90 mins, cooled for 30 mins, whirlpooled and let stand for 30 mins. syphoned into fermenter. Boiled 32 litres down to 25+litres (3+ litres left in fermenter with trub etc.)
Other Additions: Yeast nutrient last 5 mins.1/2 "irish moss" tablet last 10 mins.
Yeast Information: WLP San Fran 1 litre pitched at 14oc
Fermentation Details: primary 16 days at 10oCsecondary 27 days at 12oc

FWH = First Wort Hopping

I've never done it, but basically it means that you start boiling the first runnings with hops straight away, instead of waiting until the whole lot is sparged. It's supposed to give a smoother bitterness, but at the expense of lower utilisation.

You could give it a miss if you want, but you may have to change the bittering addition to compensate. For something like a Munich Dunkel, it's not a hop-driven style anyway.

Thanks Blackbock will give it a go,what did you think of the recipe?

Your recipe looks like it almost approaches a bock, if that's what you're looking for.

5.5% alc b/v is well up there for a M.D. Caraaroma, Munich II, Melanoidin AND Carafa Special I are all going to ensure that this a beer with lots of malt flavours. I doubt you will be disappointed.

beers

Back