Bochet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
71B is my go to yeast for both mead and cider. DV10 is good if I want something higher alcohol.

Thanks for the input men.
Currently on holidays for a couple of weeks.
Or in other words, exploring functional alcoholism as a lifestyle choice.

Raining today, came home at lunch, started a Botchet !

Gently boiled the Orange Blossom honey for almost 3hrs. First sample is at 0mins and 25mins between each subsequent sample.
I used 1.6kg honey (same quantities as JAO) in a 10L pot and it really wanted to jump out if the boil got a bit vigorous....hence I only gently boiled it. Don't leave it alone while boiling !

I've added 2 tsp vanilla bean paste and tomorrow, one whole large orange and 2pks re-hydrated bread yeast. Maybe some nutmeg too...dunno, I'll sleep on it.

Smells incredible. Looking forward to this one.

View attachment 70195

View attachment 70196
How did this turn out mate ? I'm making one at the moment and a bit concerned about the slow fermentation. Much slower than the jao

How did this turn out mate ? I'm making one at the moment and a bit concerned about the slow fermentation. Much slower than the jao

Have you had a look at TOSNA and BOMM methods of brewing? Claim to be drinkable in a couple of months. I have also made some fantastic session meads in a couple of weeks. Low ABV around 7% but I love drinking a bottle of mead like a cider, rather than sipping like a wine.

Have you had a look at TOSNA and BOMM methods of brewing? Claim to be drinkable in a couple of months. I have also made some fantastic session meads in a couple of weeks. Low ABV around 7% but I love drinking a bottle of mead like a cider, rather than sipping like a wine.
No I haven't actually I'll have to check it out. I'm more into a higher abv though. I've made a jao mead and I'm making a bourbon bochet at the moment can't wait to taste them. It's only been a month so have a while to wait.

That's the problem - the higher the booze the longer the wait for the esters to go.
Staggered nutrient additions are the go if you want to speed up the brew time.

That's the problem - the higher the booze the longer the wait for the esters to go.
Staggered nutrient additions are the go if you want to speed up the brew time.
What nutrients do you use . I think I have some dap, but I think that's not recommended for wine.

Sorry mate. I've been busy and didn't check up on this feed.
I used to use DAP but some smart buggers have been saying that the yeast won't use it pass 9%. So if you do plan on using it, use it at the beginning. I am using the site https://www.meadmakr.com/batch-buildr/ pretty much all the times as it will tell you all the details you need. Great if you don't want to work out for yourself how much your yeast needs. And it's very easy to use too.

Sorry mate. I've been busy and didn't check up on this feed.
I used to use DAP but some smart buggers have been saying that the yeast won't use it pass 9%. So if you do plan on using it, use it at the beginning. I am using the site https://www.meadmakr.com/batch-buildr/ pretty much all the times as it will tell you all the details you need. Great if you don't want to work out for yourself how much your yeast needs. And it's very easy to use too.
Thanks buddy

Back